[Joe, Alastair, Zach]
Since I haven't seen an elog about it, I'm putting it in now.
Yesterday, I visited at the request of Alastair. During the LVC meeting it was noted there was a DAQ configuration mismatch between the frame builder process (daqd) and the front end (c2atf). There was an error message, 0x2000, on the C2ATF_GDS_TP.adl screen indicating this.
In this case I simply hit the reload DAQ button on that screen and it made the front end and frame builders happy. The channel label in dataviewer went from being RED to being the usual black.
In addition, Alastair also pointed out the daqd often times crashed when starting up because it was restarting itself too quickly after crashing. To remedy this, I went to the /cvs/cds/caltech/target/fb directory and modified the daqd.inittab file and added a line "sleep 5" near the beginning.
We did a restart of the frame builder by using "telnet fb0 8087" and then typing "shutdown", and found it came up perfectly fine.
First, realize that for data to be recorded by the frame builder, both the frame builder (the daqd process) and the front end (the c2atffe.ko, which can be seen to be running by typing "lsmod" on the front end computer) need to have loaded the same version of the daq configuration file.
This file lives in /cvs/cds/caltech/chans/daq/ and is called C2ATF.ini. So whenever you change this file, whether thats by rebuilding the front end, running daqconfig, modifying it by hand, or running a script to modify it for you, you need to:
1)Restart daqd ("telnet fb0 8087", then "shutdown")
2) Force the front end to reload the file by either pressing reload DAQ or by restarting the front end code (using /cvs/cds/caltech/scripts/startc2atf)