40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  ATF eLog  Not logged in ELOG logo
Entry  Thu Feb 10 13:00:28 2011, Zach, Computing, DAQ, everything is working again 
    Reply  Thu Feb 10 16:11:56 2011, Alastair, Computing, DAQ, everything is working again 
       Reply  Thu Feb 10 16:28:24 2011, Frank, Computing, DAQ, everything is working again 
          Reply  Thu Feb 10 19:04:14 2011, Zach, Computing, DAQ, everything is working again 
             Reply  Thu Feb 10 22:03:03 2011, Frank, Computing, DAQ, everything is working again 
Message ID: 1298     Entry time: Thu Feb 10 16:28:24 2011     In reply to: 1297     Reply to this: 1299
Author: Frank 
Type: Computing 
Category: DAQ 
Subject: everything is working again 

Some more problems:

  • since sda has been replaced some time ago we don't have a mirror of that drive anymore (we used to have that before, so if one disk fails nothing happens).
    However, currently the second drive for that mirror is installed but not used
  • some disks will fail in the near future indicated by the S.M.A.R.T parameters of the disks

This time we should replace the disks BEFORE they fail

 

Quote:

Out of interest, what does ndsd do?

I'd like to update the wiki with info on how inittab should be set up.

Quote:

 [Alex, Joe, Zach]

Problem 1:

  • The wiper was defining the percentage used wrong. It used "used space" over "total space", which sounds right, but due to the fact that there is some reserved space (~5% of the total), this is not the same as [ 1 - (available space)/(total space)].
  • The wiper, which uses the first method, reported 87%, while df (second method) reported 93% full. Since the wiper was set to keep 95% before, this means that it was actually using up more than all of the available space.
  • Joe couldn't find an easy way to implement the second method into the wiper script, so he settled for a different one:      percentage used = used / (used + avail)
  • Now the wiper reports a much closer value to df.
  • We also changed the wiper setting to 90% for the time being, and observed that it worked properly

Problem 2:

  • Even though daqd had been set to run as controls, ndsd had not. Therefore, when we tried to access old data from the frames, we got error #13: permission denied.
  • We changed the ndsd inittab to run as controls, so that it is matched with daqd
  • Everything works now

Booyakasha.

 

 

ELOG V3.1.3-