Conclusion on the cleaning of OMC #001
- After a couple of first contact cleaning trials and deep cleaning, the total loss was measured to be 0.045+/-0.004.
This indicated a slight improvement from the loss measured at LLO before any cleaning (0.064+/-0.004).
However, the number did not improve to the level we marked in 2013 (0.028+/-0.004).
- This loss level of 4.5% is comparable to the loss level of OMC #3, which is currently used at LHO.
Therefore, this OMC #1 is still a useful spare for the site use.
- Some notes / to-do regarding this unit:
1) The beam dump with melted black glass was removed. A new beam dump needs to be bonded on the base.
2) The connector bracket still needs to be replaced with the PEEK version.
3) The PZT of CM1 has been defunct since 2013. Combining LV and HV drivers is necessary upon use at the site. (LLO used to do it).
We obtained Regent grade DI water. It was poured into a smaller cup.
FC liquid was also poured into a small beaker.
Wash the mirror with a swab. We should have used a smaller swab that GariLynn has in her lab.
As soon as the mirror was wiped with the water, the FC was applied with a large brush. Don't let the water away!
Then more layer of the FC was added as usual.
The quick painting of FC made a mess around the mirrors due to excess liquid (Attachment 2). So, we decided to remove the FC remnants (on non-optic surfaces) with cotton swabs and then applied FC as usual.
This made the mess removed, however, we found the OMC loss was increased to >10%(!) (Attachment 3). We decided to continue tomorrow (Thu) with more weapons loaded consulting with GariLynn.
Another set of FC cleaning was applied to FM1/FM2/CM1/CM2 and SM2. Some FC strings are visible on SM2. So I decided to clean SM2 as well as the cavity mirrors close to SM2 (i.e. FM2 and CM2)
As a result, the bright scattering spot on CM1 is now very dim. And the loss was reduced to 4.0%. This is 0.4% better than the value before the water cleaning.
It'd be interesting to repeat the water cleaning, at least on FM1. FM1 is the closest cavity mirror to the beam dump damaged by the high-power laser pulse.
Maybe we should also clean the AR side of FM1 and BS1, as they were right next to the damaged beam dump. It is not for the loss but for reducing the scattering.
The second trial of the water scrub
A bright scatter is visible on FM1, so I tried water scrub on FM1. This time, both surfaces of FM1 and both surfaces of BS1 were cleaned.
Smaller Vectra swabs were used for the scrub. Then the water was purged by IPA splashed from a syringe. Right after that FC was applied.
This was a bit messy process as the mixture of water/IPA/FC was splattered on the breadboard.
Nevertheless, all the mess was cleaned by FC in the end.
The transmission measurements are shown in Attachment 1, and the analyzed result is shown together with the past results.
The 2nd water scrub didn't improve the transmission and it is equivalent to the one after the two times of deep cleaning.
I concluded that the water scrub didn't change the transmission much (or at all). We reached the cleaning limit.
Clean supplies & some cleaning tools are located at the right side of the entrance.
The file cabinet there was moved to the left side of the door, but will be removed eventually.
v AA battery Qty. 24
v 9V battery Qty. 4
v Floor cable cover (6ft)
v HV PZT Driver
== Office Depot ==
Really Useful Box 9L x 6 (delivered)
Really Useful Box 17L x 5 (ordered 4/4)
P-TOUCH tape (6mm, 9mm, 12mmx2, 18mm) (ordered 4/4)
== Digikey ==
9V AC Adapter (- inside, 1.3A) for P-TOUCH (ordered 4/4)
12V AC Adapter (+ inside, 1A) for Cameras (ordered 4/4)
== VWR ==
Mask KIMBERLY CLARK "KIMTECH Pure M3" ISO CLASS 3 (ordered 4/4)
Here is a summary of the events of the last week, as they relate to EP30-2.
1) I lost the EP30-2 syringes that had been ordered for the OMC, along with the rest of the kit.
2) The EP30-2 syringes ordered for the OMC Unit 4 build from January had already expired, without me noticing.
3) LHO shipped expired epoxy on Thursday. Package not opened until Monday.
4) Current, unopened syringe of EP30-2 has been received from LHO. Expiration date is 22 Jan 2020. Syringe storage has been improved. Kit has been docked at its home in Downs 303 (Modal Lab) (see attached photo, taken before receipt of new epoxy).
Current Status: Epoxy is ready for PZT + CM subassembly bonding on Monday afternoon 23 September.
The following items are presently staged at the 40m Bake Lab (see photo indicating current location) (noting items broght by Koji as well):
The following item is in its home in Downs 303 (Modal Lab)
The following is the current status of the epoxies used in assembly of the OMC (excerpt from C1900052)
Re-purchasing efforts are underway and/or complete
OMC Unit 4 Build Machined Parts are currently located in Stephen's office. See image of large blue box from office, below.
Loaned item D1100855-V1-00-OMC08Q004 to Don Griffith for work in semi-clean HDS assy.
This includes mass mounting brackets, cable brackets, balance masses, etc. For full inventory, refer to ICS load Bake-9527 (mixed polymers) and Bake-9495 (mixed metals).
Inventory includes all items except cables. Plasma sprayed components with slight chipping were deemed acceptable for Unit 4 use. Cable components (including flex circuit) are ready to advance to fabrication, with a bit more planning and ID of appropriate wiring.
More explicit insights into the inventory for the Unit 4 build. Image of inventory included below.
ref: E1900034 and other associated documents.
Clean Supply Ordered