Yesterday I spent awhile reading literature, then met with Rana and Tara. Rana wanted us to produce a sketch of the physical layout of our ECDL and generate some graphs comparing different parameters (diodes, gratings, cavity lengths) so we could determine exactly what parameters we'd need to order parts. Last night I made the plots in Mathematica (BAD). This morning I did the sketch of the mechanical layout of the ECDL. Will make a nicer sketch with the changes made today and post here this weekend.
I calculated a few values: the grating should be placed at an angle of 39.7 degrees in order for the first order diffraction go back into the cavity. I checked the tuning range, and concluded for a frequency change of 100 MHz - 4 GHz, we will see a change of output beam angle on the order of microradians. This means we will not need a mirror to make sure the output beam is directed correctly for frequency changes.
Tara and I met with Rana again. I got mocked excessively for using Mathematica, and will remake all the plots in Matlab this weekend. We decided on some parts to order, which are listed at the end of this entry. Other things to do:
Parts to order (bolded):