40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  PSL  Not logged in ELOG logo
Entry  Mon Nov 12 22:56:10 2012, tara, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate cavity_TE_v2.png
    Reply  Tue Nov 13 01:56:24 2012, tara, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate 
       Reply  Wed Nov 14 00:25:48 2012, tara, Notes, NoiseBudget, ฺBrownian noise in spacer and substrate IMG_1975.jpg
       Reply  Wed Nov 14 19:46:47 2012, tara, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate substrateTE_compare.pngTE_cavity_v2.mph
          Reply  Tue Nov 20 11:50:29 2012, rana, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate 
             Reply  Wed Nov 21 20:16:55 2012, rana, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate 
                Reply  Mon Nov 26 15:36:46 2012, rana, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate 
                   Reply  Tue Nov 27 05:30:03 2012, rana, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate 
          Reply  Tue Nov 27 05:38:01 2012, tara, Notes, NoiseBudget, Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate TE_Brownian_compare2.pngTE_Brownian_compare2.fig
Message ID: 1074     Entry time: Tue Nov 13 01:56:24 2012     In reply to: 1073     Reply to this: 1075   1076
Author: tara 
Type: Notes 
Category: NoiseBudget 
Subject: Thermoelastic noise in spacer and substrate 

I realized that the mesh size was too large, even with the finest mesh for default setting. So I reduced the mesh size around the beam area and the results got closer to the analytical prediction. It is still a factor of 2 below the prediction. I'll see if I can hunt down this problem . I think it will be a good idea to verify my model by using my model to calculate Brownian noise and comparing with the result reported by Braunschwig group. 

When I defined mesh size in COMSOL, I used the predefined value provided by COMSOL. The finest mesh has maximum element size ~500 um, and minimum ~5um. Since the beam size is ~ 180 um, the maximum element size should be ~10 um. So I changed the values around, defined new area for smaller mesh until the results did not change much. I ran the simulation a few time to make sure that the solution converges. Right now my substrate has 3 regions

  1. a cylinder at the center where the beam hits the mirror, Radius = 2x180um, depth=2x180um ,   Min/Max mesh size = 12.6/27 um
  2. an outer region, radius = 5x180um, depth = 5x180 um, min/max mesh size = 10/50 um
  3. The rest of the substrate, fine mesh

I tried to change the mesh size/boundary size a bit to get the result accurate enough without taking too much time. The TE estimation still a factor of 2 below the analytical estimate.

 

ELOG V3.1.3-