40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  40m Log, Page 114 of 341  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Author Type Categoryup Subject
  1   Wed Oct 17 18:46:33 2007 ranaConfigurationGeneraleLog Change
This is the first entry in the new 40m eLog.

Its GWs or bust now! Big grin



[Hnull][/Hnull]
  3   Thu Oct 18 15:03:14 2007 ajwRoutineGeneralthis is only a test

  7   Mon Oct 22 12:02:59 2007 ajwRoutineGeneralSTACIS as microseismic shaker
In case we ever want to use our Stacis systems as shakers, check this:
link
  10   Tue Oct 23 11:08:20 2007 steveOtherGeneralbrush fires
There are big brush fires around LA
40 days plot show no effect in the 40m lab
  11   Wed Oct 24 01:43:32 2007 Andrey RodionovOtherGeneralPDF-file -> Will report about first results for XARM during Wednesday meeting

Here is the pdf-file with some graphs showing first results for XARM optimization.

We will discuss alltogether during our Wednesday meeting which starts at 2.40PM. Probably it would be necessary to project this pdf-file to the big screen,
so someone should bring laptop and probably connect it to the projector. I do not have a laptop.

See you on that meeting.
  41   Wed Oct 31 19:26:08 2007 Andrey RodionovRoutineGeneralPhotographs of "Mode-Cleaner Entrance"

Here are the pictures of "inside the chamber".
  48   Thu Nov 1 16:51:33 2007 d40AoGGeneralD40
If you vant see D40 againn, you leave one plate goulash by N2 tank in morning.

Vit the good paprikash this time!!!
  94   Mon Nov 12 14:09:19 2007 robDAQGeneraltpman dead on fb40m
The testpoint manager was dead on fb40m. I know I re-started it sometime after the power outage, so something must have killed it. If you get an error from DTT like
"diagnostic kernel does not support: testpoints", then log into fb40m as root, check for the tpman with a ps -ef | grep tpman. If it's not there, then run /usr/controls/tpman & and close the terminal window.
  150   Fri Nov 30 20:13:57 2007 dmassSummaryGeneralHeNe UniPhase Laser
Data for the Uniphase 1.9 mW HeNe laser (labeled: "051507 From ISCT-BS") SN: 1284131 Model: 1103P

I used the Photon Beamscanner to obtain all data, then fit w(z) as shown on the plot with parameters w_0, z_R, and hidden parameter delta,
where z = delta + x, z is waist distance, x is distance from the laser.

Copies of the matlab code used to fit (/plot) are attached in .zip below.
  218   Sun Dec 30 02:36:35 2007 pkpUpdateGeneralAnother update
So I followed suggestions 1 and 3 so far and have started writing up what all needs to be done in order to compile and use the camera. I wrote a program to ping the camera and get its properties and am working on a program to get an image. The reason why I want to write my own programs to do this, is that it will be easier to reuse and also to compile/use in the first place. The programs currently rest in /cvs/cds/caltech/target/Prosilica/ . Unfortunately I will be away for the next couple of days and will have another update on the 2nd.
  238   Mon Jan 14 23:11:26 2008 tobinConfigurationGeneralfiber
John and I removed the fiber that ran from the SP table to the cleanroom. We plan to build a MZ interferometer with this fiber inserted into one of the arms, for the purpose of measuring its phase noise.
  247   Thu Jan 17 20:50:55 2008 tobinUpdateGeneralfiber coupling
Sam, John, and I matched the beam from an NPRO into a fiber on the SP table today. In doing so we used our GigE camera for a physics application for perhaps the first time, viewing the transmitted mode from the fiber during initial alignment. (I used my laptop running Windows and a 100 megabit switch.)
  250   Fri Jan 18 20:53:56 2008 tobinConfigurationGeneralETMY oplev
I monkeyed around with the ETMY oplev, adding a folding mirror and moving the HeNe so that John, Sam, and I have more room for our auxiliary laser setup. (The ISCT-EY has more room than ISCT-EX; the latter has an extra photodiode for IP ANG.) I believe I successfully recommissioned the oplev, though it might not be up to the SV standard. I verified that wiggling the ETMY alignment sliders showed corresponding wiggles in the oplev signals. However, it seems poorly diagonalized.

Our current plan is to have an NPRO, EOM, and fiber coupler on the SP table. This fiber will take light to ISCT-EY where we'll have a mode-matching telescope and inject light to the Y arm via a polarized beamsplitter. This auxiliary beam will have polarization orthogonal to the beam from the PSL.
  262   Thu Jan 24 22:52:18 2008 AndreyBureaucracyGeneralAnts around a dirty glass (David - please read!)

Dear coleagues,

there are rains outside these days, so ants tend to go inside our premises.

David was drinking some beverage from a glass earlier today (at 2PM) and left a dirty glass near the computer.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of ants inside of that glass now.

Of course, I am washing this glass.

A.
  263   Fri Jan 25 08:55:26 2008 robConfigurationGeneralChanges to Dataviewer channels (XARM)

As a general rule,


Quote:
clicking random blue buttons chaotically


is not a good problem solving technique. It is thus now explicitly discouraged as an option in the LIGO 40m Lab.
  269   Fri Jan 25 17:11:07 2008 Max , AndreyConfigurationGeneralNEW_FETCH_SHOUROV and GET_DATA do not work

The problem which started yesterday after Andrey's framebuilder restart still persists.

It is still impossible to read data in the past from the channels using "get_data" which in turn uses "new_fetch_shourov".

Max was trying to read data from the channel
"C1:LSC-DARM_CTRL",

and he got the same error messages as Andrey.

Andrey tried earlier today to read data from "C1:SUS-ITMS_SUS" or "C1:SUS-ETMX_SUS" with the error meassge
Error in ==> new_fetch_shourov at 22
at (start_time+duration) > stops(end)

So, it seems that Robert Ward fixed just one problem out of two problems.

Robert revived the realtime signals in Dataviewer,
but did not revive the memory of channels for new_fetch_shourov.

To be more precise, channels have memory (it is possible to see the "Playback" curves in Dataviewer"),
but "get_data" and "new_fetch_shourov" do not see the data from those channels. The problem appeared immediately after Andrey's clicking on blue buttons to restart the framebuilder.

Andrey again apologizes.
  271   Sat Jan 26 02:02:43 2008 JohnSummaryGeneralNew Channels
I added the following channels.

# C1ASC_QPDs
[C1:SUS-ETMY_QPDSUM_MON]
[C1:SUS-ETMY_QPDYAW_MON]
[C1:SUS-ETMY_QPDPIT_MON]

[C1:SUS-ETMX_QPDSUM_MON]
[C1:SUS-ETMX_QPDYAW_MON]
[C1:SUS-ETMX_QPDPIT_MON]

The old .ini file is /cvs/cds/caltech/chans/daq/C0EDCU_26_1_2008.ini
  276   Sat Jan 26 22:00:03 2008 JohnUpdateGeneralLSC-TRY_OUT and ETMY-QPD
In the path from the ETM to the trans PD and QPD at the Y end I have replaced a BS1-1064-10-2037-45P with a polariser. The power falling on these diodes has been reduced. When the arm is locked in its nominal state the transmitted power is now less than 1.

This polariser should serve as an injection point for the auxiliary arm locking. I am attempting to use crossed polarisations to separate this loop from the main arm light.
  277   Sun Jan 27 13:13:21 2008 tobinMetaphysicsGeneraldeparture
It's been grand. Thanks for having me!

GWAVES IN '08!

Sugar napoleons may be forwarded to T. F., c/o LLO, P.O. Box 940, Livingston, LA 70754-0940.
  288   Thu Jan 31 12:39:14 2008 JohnConfigurationGeneralY arm test mass cameras
I've adjusted the test mass cameras on the y arm to make the beam injected through ETMY more visible.
  328   Thu Feb 21 18:29:28 2008 JohnSummaryGeneralHP Network Analyser Analyzer
The HP 4195A network analyser may be broken, measurements below 150MHz are not reliable. Above 150MHz everything looks normal. This may be caused by a problem with its output (the one you'd use as an excitation) which is varying in amplitude in a strange way.

Analyzer
  377   Thu Mar 13 18:20:29 2008 JohnUpdateGeneralNew Focus 4003 EOM 29.489MHz
I measured the modulation index as a function of drive power using an OSA. Agrees well with spec of 0.2 rad/V.
  395   Sun Mar 23 00:43:08 2008 mevansHowToGeneralOnline Adaptive Filtering
I wrote a short document about the OAF running on the ASS. Since there is no BURT setup, I put a script in /cvs/cds/caltech/scripts to help with setting initial parameters: upass.
  409   Wed Apr 2 15:03:51 2008 steveUpdateGeneralreflectivity of black glass
The reflectivity of black glass, shade 12 was supplied by Donald O'Shea
of Emerald Glass Inc., Westlake, OH 44145

The reflectivity of this glass was measured as shown

Old 1064 nm Crysta Laser with poor beam quality was the source.
  417   Mon Apr 7 18:58:49 2008 steveUpdateGeneralreflectivity of SS304
The reflectivity of stainless steel 304 super polished # 8 was measured the same way as elog entry 409

The reflectivity: 74 +- 1 % from incident angle 10 to 80 degrees
  446   Thu Apr 24 23:50:10 2008 ranaUpdateGeneralSyringes in George the Freezer
There are some packets of syringes in the freezer which are labeled as belonging to an S. Waldman.
Thu Apr 24 23:48:55 2008

Be careful of them, don't give them out to the undergrads, and just generally leave them alone. I
will consult with the proper authorities about it.
  478   Thu May 15 10:40:21 2008 steveHowToGeneralLisa Goggin, PhD
Lisa Goggin successfully defended her thesis on May, 13 2008

"A Search For Gravitational Waves from Perturbed Black Hole Ringdowns in Ligo Data"

She started out as a surf student in the 40m.

Congratulation!
  483   Fri May 16 17:27:55 2008 AndreyOmnistructureGeneralToilets are broken, do not use them !!!

Both toilets in 40-meter were constantly flushing, the leaking water was on the floor inside of the restrooms, so

BOTH RESTROOMS ARE CLOSED TILL MONDAY


I have heard the constant loud sound of flushing water, opened the door, and was unpleasantly surprised because all the floor was under the layer of water and the toilets were constantly flushing. I called security at X5000, a plumber came in and told that a team of plumbers needs to repair the flushing system after the weekend. The plumber today just shut off the flushing water, wiped off the floor and told not to use the restrooms in the weekend. We should expect a team of plumbers on Monday.

Sinks are working, so you can wash your hands.
  494   Fri May 23 21:21:52 2008 CarynSummaryGeneralfiltering mode cleaner with wiener filter
I tried filtering some saved MC_L data (from Mon May19 4:30pm) with multiple MISO filters of different orders, with various sampling rates, at different times. Plotted the max rms error (where error is signal minus signal-estimate). 2min of data (around Mon May19 4:30pm) were used to calculate each filter. And each filter was applied to data at later times to see how well it performed as time progressed. Plots are attached. There appears to have been a disturbance during the 3rd hour. Rana pointed out perhaps it would be better to use data from the evening rather than during the day.
  546   Thu Jun 19 20:22:03 2008 ranaUpdateGeneralFE Computer Status
I called Rolf (@LLO) who called Alex (@MIT) who suggested that we power cycle every crate
with an RFM connection as we did before (twice in the past year).

Rob and I followed Yoichi around the lab as he turned off and on everything. There
was no special order; he started at the Y-end and worked his way into the corner and
finishing at the X-End. Along the way we also reset the 2 RFM switches around fb0.

This cured the EPICS problem; the FEs could now boot and received the EPICS data.

However, there are still some residual channel hopping-ish issues which Rob and Yoichi are
now working on.
  551   Sun Jun 22 21:38:49 2008 robHowToGeneralIFO CONFIGURE

Now that we're getting back into locking, it's nice to have a stable alignment of the interferometer.
Thus, after you're done with your experiment using subsets of the interferometer (such as a single arm),

please use the IFO_CONFIGURE screen, and click "Restore last Auto-Alignment" in the yellow "Full IFO" section.

If you don't know what this means/how to do this, you shouldn't be using the interferometer on your own.
  555   Mon Jun 23 21:51:19 2008 AlbertoUpdateGeneralArm Cavity Length Measurement
We measured the arm cavity lengths sweeping the ETM mirror position and looking at the reflected demodulated output. We excited the mirror by a sine wave of 0.2 Hz and amplitude of 30000 counts. From the time series of the occurrences of the resonances of the sidebands and of the carrier we evaluated the free spectral range of the cavities and thus the lengths. The details of the procedure are explained in the attached document. As discussed in it, for each cavity we obtain two possible values of the length depending on which of the sideband resonances is that corresponding to the upper sideband and which corresponds to the lower one instead. The numbers are:
Lx=(38.30 +/- 0.08)m / (38.45 +/- 0.08)m
Ly=(38.16 +/- 0.08)m / (38.70 +/- 0.08)m

Since the difference between the two possibilities is quite large, we should be able to decide which one is correct by somehow measuring directly the cavity length. We want to try it tomorrow by a tape meter.


Alberto and Koji
  556   Tue Jun 24 10:24:43 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralAbs. Len. Meas. ~ Cavity Swing Measurement (2)
At the entry 555, Alberto reported the results of the cavity length measurement using cavity sweeping.
As expected, each result inevitably has an ambiguity depending on which resonance do we take as an upper sideband.

In order to exclude this ambiguity Steve and Koji performed a primitive non-optical measurement using a tape and photos:
This morning Steve and Koji did tape measurements to know the lengths between the ITM/ETM chambers.
Yesterday, Koji took photos of the optical tables in vacuum to know the actual positions of the suspensions.

The results are shown in the figures attached. From those non-optical measurements the lengths of the X/Y arm are known to be 38.48+-0.03 / 38.67+-/0.03 [m].

Then, we could exclude the shorter lengths of the values in the entry 555. i.e. The Y arm is longer than the X arm about 0.2 m.

These approximate lengths will be used in the further precise measurements which use precise scans of the FSR frequencies.
  561   Wed Jun 25 00:35:40 2008 KojiSummaryGeneralOptical Layout on the AP table
I have visited the AP table in order to investigate where we are going to put the optical setup for the abs. length meas.
I have attached the PNG and PDF files to share the optical layout. It is not complete. Any comments or corrections are welcome.
  567   Wed Jun 25 13:38:22 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralAbs. Len. Meas. ~ Placement of the 700mW NPRO on the AP table
This morning I have put the 700mW NPRO on the AP table for the abs length measurement.

The RF amplifier was moved (the cables were not changed). I cleaned up some cable arrangements. I was keen not to disturb any of the other optical path. Even so, please let me know if any suspicious behaviour is found on the AP table.
  570   Thu Jun 26 01:08:22 2008 ranaConfigurationGeneralAlarm Handler Revived
I have revived the Alarm Handler by turning it on on op540m and adjusting the levels of
several of the alarming channels to not alarm (like laser power). The alarm levels are now
set to something reasonable and people should start actually paying attention to them.

I also removed the EO Shutter and Stacis alarm stuff since we don't use them.

To really get in and edit it, you have to close the Alarm Handler and edit the file
in /cvs/cds/caltech/alh/. It allows you to add/subtract useful channels and put in
guidance information.

If the alarm handler beeps about something, don't just close it or silence it, Steve. Just
fix it somehow (either set the threshold better or find the real cause).
  574   Thu Jun 26 14:06:00 2008 MashaUpdateGeneral500mW INNOLIGHT NPRO info
Below is the placement of 500mW INNOLIGHT NPRO mephisto laser. It is set up on the Symmetric Port table.
  590   Sun Jun 29 02:33:28 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralAbs. Len. Meas. ~ Optical setup (I)
I have constructed the beam injection optics for the abs length measurement.

The injection beam was coarsely aligned to the interferometer. The reflected beam from SRM was already seen at AS CCD.
I have attached the optical configration for this measurement and the optics layout at the AP table.

I am going to go to LHO for three weeks. During the absence Alberto tunes the mode matching and the alignment of the interferometer.

In the process of making this report, I noticed that one of the iris apertures is about disturbing the beam for OMCR CCD. I will check this before I go to Hanford. Also an RF spectrum analyzer is at the AP table. I try to return this near the PSL on Monday morning.

Attachment 1: Optical configuration for the abs length measurement.
1) One of the arms is locked to the PSL beam by the main control system (red).
2) A laser beam is injected from the AS port (blue). This laser essentially has different frequency from that of PSL.
3) The injected beam and the outgoing PSL beam appear at the output of the faraday in the injection system.
4) They beat each other at the frequency difference of those two lasers.
5) A PLL is used to lock the frequency difference to a local oscillator (LO).
6) The LO frequency is swept at around 3.87MHz, that is the approximate FSR frequency of the arm cavity.
7) If the LO frequency hits the FSR within the resonant width, the beating also appears at the transmitted light as the injected beam also becomes resonant to the arm cavity.
8) Amplitude of the beating at the transmitted light is measured by a RF spectrum analyzer as a function of the LO frequency. We get the FSR frequency (= the arm cavity length) from the top of the resonance.

Attachment 2: Optics at the AP table for the laser injection
700mW NPRO, laser source. vertically polarized.
Periscope, to raise the beam 1 inch to make the beam at the 4 inch elevation.
INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2, steering mirrors to align the injection beam to the IFO beam.
HWP1, half wave plate to make the beam to the farady horiz-polarized. nominal 42deg on the readout.
FI, Faraday isolator for protection of the NPRO from the returning light, for obtaining the returning light.
HWP2, to make the beam from the Faraday horiz-polarized. nominal 357deg on the readout.
MM_Lens, f=125mm to match the laser mode to the IFO beam.
SM1/SM2, steering mirrors to align the IFO beam to the Farady Isolator.
IRIS1/IRIS2, for the coarse alignment of the injection beam.
FLIP, flipper mount to turn on/off the injection optics.

Alignment procedure of the injection system
0) Ignite NPRO several hours before the experiment so that the laser frequency can be stable.
1) Turn up FLIP. Close the shutter of NPRO.
2) Adjust SM1/SM2 so that the ifo beam can appear at the output of FI.
3) Adjust height and position of IRIS1/IRIS2 with regard to the ifo beam so that the ifo beam goes through IRIS1/IRIS2 even when they are closed.
4) Turn down FLIP. Open the shutter of NPRO.
5) Adjust INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2 so that the injection beam can go through IRIS1/IRIS2 even when they are closed.
6) At this time, it is expected that the reflection of the injection beam from SRM appears at AS CCD, if SRM is aligned.
7) Adjust INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2 so that the injection beam at AS CCD can overlap to the IFO beam.
8) Confirm the beam at the output of the FI also overlaps.
---- We are here ----
9) Change the ifo configuration to the X or Y arm only.
10) Scan the crystal temperature of the 700mW NPRO in order to try to have the beating of the two beams at the PD. AS OSA may be useful to obtain the beating.
11) Once the beating is obtained, adjust INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2 such that the beating amplitude is maximized.
  599   Mon Jun 30 05:33:38 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralAbs. Len. Meas. ~ Optical setup (II)
o The position of the iris was adjusted so as not to disturub the beam for OMCR CCD.

o The RF spectrum analyzer was returned to the place of the network analyzer.


Quote:

In the process of making this report, I noticed that one of the iris apertures is about disturbing the beam for OMCR CCD. I will check this before I go to Hanford. Also an RF spectrum analyzer is at the AP table. I try to return this near the PSL on Monday morning.
  613   Tue Jul 1 12:51:34 2008 JohnSummaryGeneralIFO alignment
Rana, Rob, Yoichi, John

The recent computer problems and MZ work had disturbed the alignment of the interferometer.

We adjusted the MC alignment back to nominal positions using old OSEM values. We then walked
the input beam to match the MC. Coupling into the interferometer has increased noticeably.
The rest of the IFO was then aligned to the new input beam.

Proceeding to full IFO locking we were able to engage the AO path and hand off CARM to SPOBDC.
Arm powers got up to 4.

If the new alignment proves successful we will centre all QPDs etc so we can easily return to
this state.
  619   Tue Jul 1 21:54:05 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralRe: Abs. Length Meas. setup
I tried to look for the beating in the signal from the PD but I couldn't find. I had the temperature of the laser initially set to 40deg and then slowly increased by one degree. The manual of the laser says the frequency should change by several GHz. The problem is then that our PD is limited to no more than 30Mhz.

Although the two beams seem to overlap quite well, we might still need a better matching of the injected beam.


Alberto


Quote:
o The position of the iris was adjusted so as not to disturub the beam for OMCR CCD.

o The RF spectrum analyzer was returned to the place of the network analyzer.


Quote:

In the process of making this report, I noticed that one of the iris apertures is about disturbing the beam for OMCR CCD. I will check this before I go to Hanford. Also an RF spectrum analyzer is at the AP table. I try to return this near the PSL on Monday morning.
  621   Wed Jul 2 06:46:05 2008 AlbertoConfigurationGeneralNPRO on to warm up
This morning I turned on the NPRO on the AP table so that it can warm up for a few hours before I start using it today.
The flipping mirror is down so no beam is injected in to the IFO.


Alberto
  624   Wed Jul 2 15:14:42 2008 steveUpdateGeneraladded beam traps
I placed baked razor beam trap after INJ_SM1 and flipper in the injection path on the AP table


Quote:
I have constructed the beam injection optics for the abs length measurement.

The injection beam was coarsely aligned to the interferometer. The reflected beam from SRM was already seen at AS CCD.
I have attached the optical configration for this measurement and the optics layout at the AP table.

I am going to go to LHO for three weeks. During the absence Alberto tunes the mode matching and the alignment of the interferometer.

In the process of making this report, I noticed that one of the iris apertures is about disturbing the beam for OMCR CCD. I will check this before I go to Hanford. Also an RF spectrum analyzer is at the AP table. I try to return this near the PSL on Monday morning.

Attachment 1: Optical configuration for the abs length measurement.
1) One of the arms is locked to the PSL beam by the main control system (red).
2) A laser beam is injected from the AS port (blue). This laser essentially has different frequency from that of PSL.
3) The injected beam and the outgoing PSL beam appear at the output of the faraday in the injection system.
4) They beat each other at the frequency difference of those two lasers.
5) A PLL is used to lock the frequency difference to a local oscillator (LO).
6) The LO frequency is swept at around 3.87MHz, that is the approximate FSR frequency of the arm cavity.
7) If the LO frequency hits the FSR within the resonant width, the beating also appears at the transmitted light as the injected beam also becomes resonant to the arm cavity.
8) Amplitude of the beating at the transmitted light is measured by a RF spectrum analyzer as a function of the LO frequency. We get the FSR frequency (= the arm cavity length) from the top of the resonance.

Attachment 2: Optics at the AP table for the laser injection
700mW NPRO, laser source. vertically polarized.
Periscope, to raise the beam 1 inch to make the beam at the 4 inch elevation.
INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2, steering mirrors to align the injection beam to the IFO beam.
HWP1, half wave plate to make the beam to the farady horiz-polarized. nominal 42deg on the readout.
FI, Faraday isolator for protection of the NPRO from the returning light, for obtaining the returning light.
HWP2, to make the beam from the Faraday horiz-polarized. nominal 357deg on the readout.
MM_Lens, f=125mm to match the laser mode to the IFO beam.
SM1/SM2, steering mirrors to align the IFO beam to the Farady Isolator.
IRIS1/IRIS2, for the coarse alignment of the injection beam.
FLIP, flipper mount to turn on/off the injection optics.

Alignment procedure of the injection system
0) Ignite NPRO several hours before the experiment so that the laser frequency can be stable.
1) Turn up FLIP. Close the shutter of NPRO.
2) Adjust SM1/SM2 so that the ifo beam can appear at the output of FI.
3) Adjust height and position of IRIS1/IRIS2 with regard to the ifo beam so that the ifo beam goes through IRIS1/IRIS2 even when they are closed.
4) Turn down FLIP. Open the shutter of NPRO.
5) Adjust INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2 so that the injection beam can go through IRIS1/IRIS2 even when they are closed.
6) At this time, it is expected that the reflection of the injection beam from SRM appears at AS CCD, if SRM is aligned.
7) Adjust INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2 so that the injection beam at AS CCD can overlap to the IFO beam.
8) Confirm the beam at the output of the FI also overlaps.
---- We are here ----
9) Change the ifo configuration to the X or Y arm only.
10) Scan the crystal temperature of the 700mW NPRO in order to try to have the beating of the two beams at the PD. AS OSA may be useful to obtain the beating.
11) Once the beating is obtained, adjust INJ_SM1/INJ_SM2 such that the beating amplitude is maximized.
  627   Wed Jul 2 19:15:52 2008 AlbertoUpdateGeneralStatus of the alignment of the NPRO beam for the Absolute Length Measurement
Today I've tried to bring the frequency of the NPRO laser close enough to that of the IFO beam so that the beat between the two beams can be at a detectable frequency for the photodiode. The way I've been changing the frequency is by the NPRO's temperature control on its driver.

Looking at the signal from the AS OSA should enable us to monitor the direction in which the frequency is changing. Every time the resonances of the IFO beam and of the NPRO beam overlap, we know that the frequencies of the two beams are some FSR of the OSA away from each other. At the overlapping of the resonances, if the difference of frequency is within the detectable range of the photodiode, we should see a peak in the network/spectrum analyzer.

This way turned out not very easy in practice because from the AS OSA one can hardly distinguish the resonances of the primary beam from those of the secondary beam. The cause is mainly the flashing of the IFO beam at the AS port which produces a pattern of resonances of different amplitude. Also for some reason, triggering the output signal from the OSA at the oscilloscope doesn't work very well.

However, even if we didn't have these problems, I think that the two beams are not very well aligned, at least not anymore. I'm attaching some pictures from the AS port. The bright spot on the left is the NPRO beam and the one in the center which flashes is the IFO beam. We probably need some more work in the alignment of the NRPO beam.
  628   Thu Jul 3 11:53:30 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralStatus of the alignment of the NPRO beam for the Absolute Length Measurement
The method itself looked fine.

Use of the one arm configuration will make the work easier as constant power at the AS port is obtained.
How much is the FSR of the OSA?

Apparently the alignment is not good any more as Alberto pointed. Everytime you touch the flipper you'd better to adjust it. Then, if necessary, adjust the injection steerings.

If the PSL beam is blocked, only the injection beam appears at the optical ports. The spot is obtained at the AS port and the SY port (REFL) at the same time. I recommend to confirm the transmittion to the SY port too by the CDD, the card, and whatever. Note that this may be difficult because this will have the beam power of below 1 mW.


Quote:
Alberto> Today I've tried to bring the frequency of the NPRO laser ...
  633   Thu Jul 3 16:57:23 2008 JohnSummaryGeneralFSS_RMTEMP
The FSS room temp alarm has been beeping a lot recently. I altered the FSS_RMTEMP alarm levels using the
same method as Rana.

The alarm is still souding so, at least by my calculations, it must be colder than usual.
  634   Thu Jul 3 18:48:09 2008 AlbertoUpdateGeneralBeats of the two lasers in the absolute length measurement observed
I adjusted the alignment of the flipper mirror as suggested by Koji making the two beam spots match. I also aligned all the IFO mirrors (ITMs, PRM, SRM, ETMs) to have more power for the IFO signal at the AS port. When I did that I could see the beats at the AS OSA. Then I explored the range of temperature of the NPRO from 35deg (C) to 51.2807deg and at that point I could observe a peak corresponding to the beat at about 10MHz on the network analyzer. The peak tends to drift because the laser takes probably a longer time to actually thermalize and it moves very rapidly changing the temperature of the laser.
  635   Thu Jul 3 22:54:45 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralBeats of the two lasers in the absolute length measurement observed
Great! Conguraturation! I wish if I could see it! It's nice if you can put the photo or anything of the RF spectrum analyzer.

Next step:
o You can try to maximize the beat amplitude by the tuning of the Injection steering mirrors.

o At the south end of the SP table, I prepared a frequency mixer. You can put the beat signal into the RF input, and an oscillator (which you can bring from somewhere) to the LO input in order to obtain the error signal of the PLL. Put the IF output of the mixer in a SR560, and please try to lock it by a simple 6db/oct (1st order) LPF of the SR560. For the actuator you can use the fast-pzt input of the NPRO.


Quote:
Then I explored the range of temperature of the NPRO from 35deg (C) to 51.2807deg and at that point I could observe a peak corresponding to the beat at about 10MHz on the network analyzer.
  637   Mon Jul 7 11:22:02 2008 AlbertoUpdateGeneralBeats of the two lasers in the absolute length measurement observed
I didn't post a screenshot from the RF SA because I had troubles with the interface with the computer (unfortunately the network SA cannot export the data either).

There is problem with the PLL circuit. The signal, beside the beat, also contains peaks at 33, 66 and 99 MHz, so we should think about filtering those out.


Quote:
Great! Conguraturation! I wish if I could see it! It's nice if you can put the photo or anything of the RF spectrum analyzer.

Next step:
o You can try to maximize the beat amplitude by the tuning of the Injection steering mirrors.

o At the south end of the SP table, I prepared a frequency mixer. You can put the beat signal into the RF input, and an oscillator (which you can bring from somewhere) to the LO input in order to obtain the error signal of the PLL. Put the IF output of the mixer in a SR560, and please try to lock it by a simple 6db/oct (1st order) LPF of the SR560. For the actuator you can use the fast-pzt input of the NPRO.


Quote:
Then I explored the range of temperature of the NPRO from 35deg (C) to 51.2807deg and at that point I could observe a peak corresponding to the beat at about 10MHz on the network analyzer.
  638   Mon Jul 7 13:06:38 2008 KojiUpdateGeneralBeats of the two lasers in the absolute length measurement observed
One may need an RF filter after the mixer. I expect the SR560 does work for this purpose.
If it does not, a passive LPF can be used.


Quote:
I didn't post a screenshot from the RF SA because I had troubles with the interface with the computer (unfortunately the network SA cannot export the data).

There's is problem with the PLL circuit. The signal, beside the beat, also contains peaks at 33, 66 and 99 MHz, so we should think about filtering those out, correct?
ELOG V3.1.3-