Since we don't have agreement between the measurements we made the other day and the earlier estimations, I wanted to repeat the demodulation angle measurement. We had to do a few things to keep the PRMI locked, since in the last few days, it hasn't been stable enough.
The mode cleaner had been very fussy lately; the WFS were pushing in a way that caused fast oscillations of the transmission and reflection powers. I turned off the servos, manually aligned the mode cleaner to transmission of about 15k and refl of about .4, centered the beams on the WFS QPDs, and turned the loops back on. Things were much stable after that. Also, Jenne noticed that the PMC loop had walked the laser PZT temperature to a bad place, and fixed it.
After aligning the carrier locked PRMI, the last piece needed to get things stable enough for sideband locking was turning off the angular damping on the PRM suspension screen (this was turned back on when we were done). Waiting until evening noise levels probably helped too. We used a 1000 count MICH excitation in the PRMI case, and recorded data for about a minute in one degree steps around the demodulation phase that looked to put the excitation entirely within the Q of the PD. Also, we notched out the excitation frequency in the MICH servo bank for today's measurement; I think it's outside of the loop bandwidth anyways, but it's good to be sure.
Jenne and I pondered a bit whether changing the AS55 demodulation phase while it (AS55 Q) is being used as the MICH control signal introduces subtleties that we haven't anticipated, but couldn't come up with anything concrete. Changing the angle from the what maximizes the Q just looks like a slight change in MICH gain, and shouldn't affect the phase of the excitation signal on the PD...
In any case, the data have been recorded, and the results will follow soon.