Not logged in
Wed Aug 27 12:09:10 2008
I added a configuration file parser to the Snap code. This allows all command line parameters (like exposure time, etc.) to be saved in a file and loaded automatically. It also provides a method of loading parameters to transform a point from its location on the image to its location in actual space (loading these parameters on the command line would substantially clutter it). The code is now fully set-up to test servo-ing one of the mirrors again, and I will test this as soon as the PMC board stops being broken and I can lock the X-arm.
I also took an image of the OSEMs on ETMX in order to apply the rotation transform code in order to determine the parameters to pass to Snap. The results were alpha = 2.9505, beta = 0.0800, gamma = -2.4282, c = 0.4790. These results are reasonable but far from perfect. One of the biggest causes of error was in locating the OSEMs: it is difficult to determine where in the spot of light the OSEM actually is, and in one case, the center was hidden behind another piece of equipment. Nevertheless, the parameters are good enough to use in a test of the ability to servo, though it would probably be worth trying to improve them before using them for other purposes. The original and rotated images are attached.
I've begun working on calculations to figure out how much power loss can occur due to a given cavity misalignment or change in a mirror's radius of curvature from heating. The goal is to determine how well a camera can indirectly detect these power losses, since a misalignment produces a change in beam position and a change in radius of curvature produces a change in beam waist, both of which can be measured by the camera.
Joe and I hunted down the requisite equipment to amplify the photodiode at the output of the PMC, allowing us to turn the laser power down even more during a scan of the PMC, hopefully avoiding thermal effects. This measurement can be done once the PMC works again.