40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  40m Log  Not logged in ELOG logo
Message ID: 6986     Entry time: Wed Jul 18 10:08:01 2012
Author: Liz 
Type: Update 
Category: Computer Scripts / Programs 
Subject: Week 5 update/progress 

Over the past week, I have been focusing on the issues I brought up in my last ELOG,  6956.  I spent quite a while attempting to modify the script and create my own spectrogram function within the existing code.  I also checked out the channels on the PSL table for the PSL health page and produced a spectrogram plot of the PMC reflected, transmitted, and input powers, the PZT Voltage and the laser output power.  When I was entering these channels into the configuration script, I came across an issue with the way the python script parses this.  If there were spaces between the channel names (for example: C1:PSL-PMC_INPUT_DC, C1:PSL-PMC_RFPDDC... etc) the program would not recognize the channels.  I made some alterations to the parsing script such that all white spaces at the beginning and end of the channels were stripped and the program could find them.

 The next thing that I worked on was attempting to see if the microphone channels were actually stopping the program or just taking an extraordinarily long time.  I tried running the program with shorter time samples and that seemed to work quite well!  However, I had to leave it running overnight in order to finish.  I am sure that this difference comes from the fact that the microphone channels are fast channels.  I would like to somehow make it run more quickly, and am thinking about how best to do this.

I finally got my spectrogram function to work after quite a bit of trouble.  There were issues with mismatched data and limit sets that I discovered came from times when only a few frames (one or two) were in one block.  I added some code to  ignore small data blocks  like those and the program works very well now!  It seems like the best way to get the right limits is to let the program automatically set the limits (they are nicely log-scaled and everything) but there are some issues that produce questionable results.  I spent a while adding a colormap option to the script so that the spectrogram colors can be adjusted!  This mostly took so long because, on Monday night, some strange things were happening with the PMC that made the program fail (zeros were being output, which caused an uproar in the logarithmic data limits).  I was incredibly worried about this and thought that I had somehow messed up the script (this happened in the middle of when I was tinkering with the cmap option) so I undid all of my work!  It was only when I realized it was still going on and Masha and Jenne were talking about the PMC issues that I figured out that it was an external issue.  I then went in and set manual limits so that a blank spectrogram and redid everything.

The spectrogram is not operational and the colormap can be customized.  I need to fix the problem with the autoscaled axes (perhaps adding a lower bound?) so that the program does not crash when there is an issue.

Yesterday, I spoke with Rana about what my next step should be.  He advised me to look at ELOGs from Steve (6678) and Koji (6675) about what they wanted to see on the site.  These gave me a good map of what is needed on the site and where I will go next.

I need to find out what is going on with the weather channels and figure out how to calibrate the microphones.  I will also be making sure there are correct units on all of the plots and figure out how to take only a short section of data for the microphone channels.  I have already modified the tab template so that it is similar to Koji's ELOG idea and will be making further changes to the layout of the summary pages themselves.  I will also be working on having the right plots up consistently on the site.

 

ELOG V3.1.3-