This week, the other SURF students and I got acquainted with the caltech campus, LIGO 40m lab and the expectations of the SURF program. We went to a lot of safety meetings and lectures that established a framework for the jobs we will be doing over the course of the summer. I went on several tours of the 40m interferometer (one each with Jenne, Jamie and Steve) to get an overview of the layout and specifics of the setup. I read parts of R. Ward and A. Parameswaran's theses and Saulson's book in order to prepare myself and gain a broader understanding of the purpose of LIGO.
I also began working in Python this week, primarily graphing PSDs of data from the C1:SUS-ETMY_SENSOR_LR, C1:SUS-ETMY_SENSOR_LL, C1:SUS-ETMY_SENSOR_UR, and C1:SUS-ETMY_SENSOR_UL channels. I will eventually be using Python to generate the plots for the summary pages, so this is good practice. The code that I have been working on can be found in /users/elizabeth.davison/script5.py. Additionally, I have been going through the G1 summary pages and attempting to understand the plots available on them and the code that is available.
My plans for the upcoming week begin with modifying my code and potentially calibrating the channel data so that it is in units of length instead of counts. I will also access the code from the G1 pages and go over it in depth, hopefully gaining insight into the structure of the website.