40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  40m Log  Not logged in ELOG logo
Message ID: 4581     Entry time: Thu Apr 28 12:25:11 2011
Author: josephb 
Type: Update 
Category: CDS 
Subject: Further adventures in Hyper-threading 

First, I disabled front end starts on boot up, and brought c1sus up.  I rebuilt the models for the c1sus computer so they had a new specific_cpu numbers, making the assumption that 0-1 were one real core, 2-3 were another, etc.

Then I ran the startc1SYS scripts one by one to bring up the models.  Upon just loading the c1x02 on "core 2" (the IOP), I saw it fluctuate from about 5 to 12.  After bringing up c1sus on "core 3", I saw the IOP settle down to about 7 consistently.  Prior to hyper-threading it was generally 5. 

Unfortunately, the c1sus model was between 60 and 70 microseconds, and was producing error messages a few times a second

[ 1052.876368] c1sus: cycle 14432 time 65; adcWait 0; write1 0; write2 0; longest write2 0
[ 1052.936698] c1sus: cycle 15421 time 74; adcWait 0; write1 0; write2 0; longest write2 0

Bringing up the rest of the models (c1mcs on 4, c1rfm on 5, and c1pem on 6), saw c1mcs occasionally jumping above the 60 microsecond line, perhaps once a minute.   It was generally hovering around 45 microseconds.  Prior to hyper-threading it was around 25-28 microseconds.

c1rfm was rock solid at 38, which it was prior to hyper-threading.  This is most likely due to the fact it has almost no calculation and only RFM reads slowing it down.

c1pem continued to use negligible time, 3 microseconds out of its 480.

I tried moving c1sus to core 8 from core 3, which seemed to bring it to the 58 to 65 microsecond range, with long cycles every few seconds.

 

I built 5 dummy models (dua on 7, dub on 9, duc on 10, dud on 11, due on 1) to ensure that each virtual core had a model on it, to see if it helped with stabilizing things.  The models were basically copies of the c1pem model.

Interestingly, c1mcs seemed to get somewhat better and only taking to 30-32 microseconds, although still not as good as its pre-hyper-threading 25-28.  Over the course of several minutes it was no longer having a long cycle.

c1sus got worse again, and was running long cycles 4-5 times a second.

 

At this point, without surgery on which models are controlling which optics (i.e. splitting the c1sus model up) I am not able to have hyper-threading on and have things working.  I am proceeding to revert the control models and c1sus computer to the hyper-threading state.

 

 

ELOG V3.1.3-