To clean the glue off the magnets and dumbbells I soaked them in Acetone for about an hour and then scrubbed the ends clean with a lint free tissue soaked in Acetone.
I then examined the ends under a microscope and found that while the flat faces were clean some of the grooves were still filled with glue.
While examining the magnets I found some small magnetic fibers stuck to the magnets. Rana had mentioned these before as potential trouble makers which could degrade the high frequency performance of the OSEMs.
To try and get the glue out of the grooves I put the dumbells through an ultrasonic bath for ten mins. Most of the glue has been removed from the grooves. Pics below
I proceeded try and recover the lost time by sticking the magnets back to the dumbbells. Increased the quantity of the glue to a slightly larger amount than usual. It should definitely squish out a bit now. We will know tomorrow when we open the gluing fixture.