We compared the magnetic field strength for 4 magnets in the original setup. The standard deviation was 3.15 G which corresponds to a variation of 2.4%. We had encountered difficulties with the stability of the Gaussmeter. The tip of the Gaussmeter was unsteady and wobbling which led to huge variations for a small change in distance. We stabilized the meter by taping it to a pencil and securing it with wire ties to an aluminum block. We then used translation stages to find the point of maximum field strength for each magnet, which allowed us much more stable readings.
We are reading and learning about feedback control systems.
Learning to model in Comsol. Our goals for the 1X1 model include incorporating the gravitational force in the measurements and find the distance for which attraction is the strongest, and experimenting with the mesh density and boundary conditions of the domain.
Attended many meetings, including:
Laser safety training
SURF safety training
LIGO experimental group meeting