I made some changes in the code (all commented in the installed and SVN version) to print the filter coefficients. I got crazy output. Sometimes memory bugs lead to such crazy behavior. So far I could not find any bugs, but will have to spend more time on it
Something strange was going on in the OAF code, printf would print a double precision number in %f format but not in %lf or %e format!
Since we know this problem now, we can move forward, but it will be important to know why printf was restricted and if there are other such constraints which we should remember while making changes in the codes.