We are in the process of adding a manual gate valve between TP1 (Osaka Maglev) and the other gate valves (I suppose V1 and VM2).
The work is still on going and we will continue to work on this tomorrow. Because this section is isolated from the main volume, this work does not hold off the possible rough pumping tomorrow morning.
The motivation of this work is as follows:
- Since TP2 failed, the main vacuum volume has been pumped down by TP1 and TP3. However TP3 is not capable to handle the large pressure difference at the early stage of the turbo pumping. This cause TP3 to have excessive heating or even thermal shutdown.
- The remedy is to put a gate valve between TPs and the main vacuum to limit the amount of gas flowing into the TPs. This indeed slows down the pumping speed of turbo, but this is not the dominant part of the pumping time.
- Comfirmed TP1 is isolated.
- Unscrewed the flange of TP1.
- Remove TP1. This required to lift up TP1 with some shim as the nuts interferes with the TP1 body. (Attachment1, 2, 3)
- Now remove 10inch flange adapter. (Attachment4)
-Attach 10"-8" adapter and 8" rotational sleeve. (Attachment5)