Yesterday, we went to the 40m and stole most of the parts we will need for the Q-measurement polarimeter. I have asked Giordon to put a list of these parts on the elog, as training for good elog routine.
We brought them to the SUS lab and started placing things on the table. The plan is to build a barebones setup, in air, to get a feel for the readout scheme. As a first pass, we will find any old piece of transparent material and drive it mechanically (read: flick it) to see if we see a low-Q ringdown. In parallel, Giordon is supposed to be working on his SNR calculations (and I am supposed to be answering some questions he has).
We set up a HeNe and some polarizing elements, but were somehow unable to linearize the polarization. This is somewhat puzzling: