Thanks to new info from Johannes, I was able to finish setting up the modbus IOC on c1susaux2. It turns out the 17 Acromags draw ~1.9 A, which is way more than I had expected. Hence the reason I had suspected a short. Adding a second DC supply in parallel solves the problem. There is no issue with the wiring.
With the Acromags powered on, I carried out the following:
The modbusIOC is now running as a peristent system service, which is automatically launched on boot and relaunched after a crash. I'm able to access a random selection of channels using caget.
What's left now is to finish the Acromag-to-feedthrough wiring, then test/calibrate each channel.
I found the current bias output channels, C1:SUS-<OPTIC>_<DOF>BiasAdj, were all pointed at C1:SUS-<OPTIC>_ULBiasSet for every degree of freedom. This same issue appeared in all eight database files (one per optic), so it looks like a copy-and-paste error. I fixed them to all reference the correct degree of freedom.
For future reference:
I have designed new cable supports for the new ribbon cables running up the side of the tables in the vacuum chambers.
The clamps that I have designed (shown in basic sketch attachment 1) will secure the cable at each of the currently used cable supports.
The support consists of a backplate and a frontplate. The backplate is secured to the leg of the table using a threaded screw. The frontplate clamps the cable to the backplate using two screws: one on either side. Between two fascinating points, the cable should have some slack. This should keep the cable from being stiff and help reduce the transfer of seismic noise to the table.
It is possible to stack multiple cables in one of these fasteners. Either you can put two cables together and clamp them down with one faceplate or you can stack multiple faceplates with one cable between each faceplate. in this case the stack would go backplate then cable then faceplate then cable then the second faceplate. this configuration would require longer screws.
The exact specifics about which size screws and which size plates to use still have not been measured by me. But it will happen
22:05:02 UTC Jordan refilled his water bottle at the water dispenser in the control room.
Thanks to Joe B who made the SRS RGA working with linux
Last data file logged at 2008 Oct 24 with old Dycor unit
First data file logged at 2009 Feb 10 with SRS
Rga scan of day 231 since pumpdown pd66-m-d231
m stands for maglev pumping speed, vacuum normal condition of valves,
cc4 cold cathode gauge at the rga location,
cc1 is real ifo pressure from the 24" tube at the pumpspool,
PEM-count temp: vac envelope temp at the top of IOO chamber
Vacuum normal valve condition was changed to accommodate SRS-RGA calibration.
VM1 was closed to isolate the RGA from the IFO.
Cold cathode gauge CC4 is reading normal.
CC1 is glitching, it is probably dirty.
CC2 is fluctuating too much and it is cutting out for 6-7 minutes. It must be insulated by deposits and there is no emission current.
I think the same goes for P1
They will have to be replaced at the next vent
Vacuum valve configuration is back to VACUUM NORMAL condition. RGA calibration completed.
RGA scan attached is the backgroud of the rga with std cal leak open, sn 08581
Krypton at amu 84 and Argon at amu 40 are the cal signals.
Our Osaka TG360MB maglev failed with CSB error message. This means that the dry emergency landing bearing has to be replaced.
I will consalt with Osaka about the choice of replacing bearing or installing new spare tomorrow.
Mean while V1 is closed and the vac envelope is not pumped.
Valve configuration: BG -background, pumping on the RGA-only
High voltage to IOO PZT steering mirrors and OMC are turned off.
PSL output shutter is closed and manual block is in place.
I will start cooling the CYO pump in the morning, so the IFO will be pumped by noon.
Outgassing plus leakrate after 10 hrs the pressure is 2.3 mTorr
This rate of rise is normal and it is safe to work with the ifo.
The CRYO pump cooled down and VC1 was opened. This valve configuration is Cryo-only
PSL output shutter opened at 4pm
PZT HV power supplies turned on for OMC and IOO steering mirrors.
There positions were not corrected to strain gauge values.
Ben helped us to conclude that the FAILURE led indicator is working correctly and
has nothing to do with the one lose, dangling wire#258 in the side connects of the vac rack.
I reset the CSB switch inside the Maglev controller and tried to start accelerating.
It fails after 2-3 sec and failure led light comes on.
Now we can say the MAGLEV 360 is DEAD and the new OSAKA TG420M can be swapped in.
However it requires new interface with our epics based MEDM or better...?
Ben and I found this vacuum valve relay box intermittently shorthing yesterday.
It effects V4, V5, VA6 and VM1........ Please do not touch this box under the beam pipe next to the vac rack!
The function of this box to send 120VAC to the vacuum valve to move.
I tested the cryopump interlock today. It is touchy. I do not have full confidence in it.
I'm proposing that VC1 gate valve should be kept closed while nobody is working in the 40m lab.
How to open gate valve:
1, confirm temp of 12K on the gauge at the bottom of the cryopump
2, if medm screen cryo reads OFF( meaning warm) hit reset will result reading ON (meaning cold 12K )
3, open VC1 gate valve if P1 is not higher than 20 mTorr
VC1 was closed at 18:25,
IFO condition: not pumped,
expected leak plus out gassing should be less than 5 mTorr/day
The RGA is in bg-mode, annuloses are closed off
In response to Steve's elog entry, and for 40m posterity, I provide the Paschen Curve.
% Paschen Curve plotting
% From http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/paschen.htm
% Breakdown voltage:
% Vbreakdown = B * p * d / (C + ln( p * d))
% Breakdown field strength:
% Ebreakdown = p * ( B / ( C + ln ( p * d)))
CC1 5e-7 Torr, VC1 closed at 18:25, IFO is not pumped, RGA is in bg-mode