40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  40m Log, Page 271 of 344  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Author Type Categoryup Subject
  6605   Sat May 5 09:13:02 2012 KojiUpdatePSLPMC

I suspect that it was just unlocked when you had disconnected the cable.

There is not reflection now. It seems that it is now misaligned after the alignment work.

So what you need is "align while scanning PZT -> lock -> align".

Quote:

Unfortunately, after the measurement when I unplugged BNS connector from the laser, I misaligned PMC. For several hours I adjusted the mirrors but could not significantly improve transmitted signal. I'll return to this issue tomorrow.

 

  6606   Sat May 5 10:20:21 2012 DenUpdatePSLPMC

Quote:

I suspect that it was just unlocked when you had disconnected the cable.

There is not reflection now. It seems that it is now misaligned after the alignment work.

So what you need is "align while scanning PZT -> lock -> align".

Quote:

Unfortunately, after the measurement when I unplugged BNS connector from the laser, I misaligned PMC. For several hours I adjusted the mirrors but could not significantly improve transmitted signal. I'll return to this issue tomorrow.

 

 No, no, it was unlocked after I connected the cable back. The beam was even not on the PMC. I'll try PZT -> lock -> align.

  6607   Sat May 5 12:23:38 2012 KojiUpdatePSLPMC

No matter how you connect/disconnect, touching the laser may cause the PMC unlocked.

At least, I don't see the PMC reflection on the PD.
This means that the beam towards the PMC is largely misaligned.

If you are not sure what is misaligned, stop touching the table.
Close the shutter of the laser on the laser housing and leave the optics as they are.

  6608   Sat May 5 20:42:59 2012 DenUpdatePSLPMC

[Koji, Den]

Koji was right that I misaligned everything during the alignment work. I assumed that PMC should autolock and when I saw that it did not, I thought the laser is misaligned.

What we did:

1. Aligned mirrors to get the beam on the PD PMC REFL and PMCR camera. The PSL-PMC_RFPDDC was ~800 mV.

2. We disabled PMC servo, switching it to test position and changed "DC output adjust" by 0.01 in a loop

while true
do
    ezcawrite "C1:PSL-PMC_RAMP" -4.50
    ezcastep "C1:PSL-PMC_RAMP" "+0.01,450" -s "0.1"
    ezcawrite "C1:PSL-PMC_RAMP" 0.0
    ezcastep -s "0.1" -- "C1:PSL-PMC_RAMP" "-0.01,450"
done

3. While the script was running we adjusted the position of the beam on the far PMC mirror looking at an IR viewer. The goal is to align two steering mirrors to catch some resonances. We monitored them on the oscilloscope and on the PMCT camera.

4. We locked PMC and aligned steering mirrors.

  6753   Tue Jun 5 09:44:14 2012 steveUpdatePSLref cavity ion pump must be pumped

Quote:

The ref cavity ion pump was running at 7.7kV instead of 5kV

This Digitel SPC-1 20 l/s ion pump should be running at 5kV

 I noticed that the ion pump was turned off.

It was turned ON. It showed 0.00 microA at 5kV  The current display is not sensitive enough. There must be some small outgassing or leak. It adds up if we stop pumping.

We want to keep the reference cavity in pristine condition. It required the ion pump running all times.

  6839   Wed Jun 20 18:00:10 2012 ranaSummaryPSLsummaries

 Nice PSL summaries from LHO:

https://alog.ligo-wa.caltech.edu/aLOG/index.php?callRep=3187

  6978   Mon Jul 16 16:41:49 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPMC locked in funny place - PSL laser temp changed

The PMC was unlocked earlier this morning, for ~20min, presumably from the rocks next door.  I relocked it.

Then, a few min ago, the PMC suddenly decided that it wouldn't lock with a transmission greater than ~0.7 .  I found that the laser temp adjust on the FSS screen was at -1.9ish.  I put it back to zero, and now the PMC locks happily again.  I think we got into a PSL mode-hopping temperature region on accident.

  6995   Fri Jul 20 12:12:25 2012 ranaUpdatePSLPMC problems examined

Jenne, Den, Rana

The PMC transmission has been varying a lot and the MC seems unstable. Superstitious people might blame this on the El-nino or the alignment with Sagitarius, but we are ostensibly scientists.

WE found that the PMC EPICS values had not been toggled since the reboot and so the RF phase and Amplitude were totally wrong (we should replace this with a fixed oscillator box as we did with FSS).

Also, the NPRO SLOW slider was at -2 V which made the mode going into the PMC funny (although the mode was OK this morning before I started playing with the PMC sliders).

Before adjustment, there was a strong correlation between the seismic motions and the PMC reflection. This means that the PMC gain was low and it couldn't stay locked. Now, after fixing the RF and upping the gain slider it looks more stable. Let's watch it for a few days to see if there's an improvement in the trends.

The 10-minute trend of the lat 400 days shows that nothing has changed much this year; its been equally bad for a long while.

Attachment 1: Untitled.png
Untitled.png
  6998   Sat Jul 21 14:05:21 2012 DenUpdatePSLPMC problems examined

Quote:

WE found that the PMC EPICS values had not been toggled since the reboot and so the RF phase and Amplitude were totally wrong (we should replace this with a fixed oscillator box as we did with FSS).

Also, the NPRO SLOW slider was at -2 V which made the mode going into the PMC funny (although the mode was OK this morning before I started playing with the PMC sliders).

 PMC transmission is oscillating  in the range 0.5 - 0.85. PMC PZT voltage is 1-2 V.

FSS slow controls was -2.5 V. I adjusted it to 0 and PMC stabilized. PMC PZT voltage is 128, transmission is 0.845.

But most probably, slow control will drift again.

fss_slowm.png

  7006   Mon Jul 23 18:38:58 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPSL channels added to IOO model

I added a subblock to the IOO model, and gave it a top_names of PSL, so the channels show up as C1:PSL-......

So far, there are just 2 channels acquired, C1:PSL-FSS_MIXER and C1:PSL-FSS_FAST, since those were already connected to the ADC.  Those signals are both on the DAQ OUT of the FSS board in the rack.  They are DQ channels now too.

 

  7010   Mon Jul 23 19:13:12 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPSL channels added to IOO model

Quote:

I added a subblock to the IOO model, and gave it a top_names of PSL, so the channels show up as C1:PSL-......

So far, there are just 2 channels acquired, C1:PSL-FSS_MIXER and C1:PSL-FSS_FAST, since those were already connected to the ADC.  Those signals are both on the DAQ OUT of the FSS board in the rack.  They are DQ channels now too. 

 So there was a problem with the channel name C1:PSL-FSS_FAST, which conflicts with an existing slow channel.  This was causing daqd to fail to start (shockingly, with an appropriate error message!).  I renamed the channel to be C1:PSL-FSS_NPRO until we come up with something better.

After the change everthing worked and fb came back.

  7047   Mon Jul 30 09:00:18 2012 steveUpdatePSLPMC is still not fixed

The PMC was locking right the way, but it's transmission would not go up.  Finally I get it back up by moving the "sticky" DC Gain slider up and down a few times.

Attachment 1: pmcA.png
pmcA.png
Attachment 2: pmcB.png
pmcB.png
  7048   Mon Jul 30 10:05:29 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPMC is still not fixed

Quote:

The PMC was locking right the way, but it's transmission would not go up.  Finally I get it back up by moving the "sticky" DC Gain slider up and down a few times.

 The FSS was -2.9, and the PMC won't lock happily unless you bring this back to 0.  The symptom that this is happening is that the PMC reflection camera is totally saturated, but the PMC still looks like it's locked on 00.

  7265   Thu Aug 23 22:44:32 2012 KojiUpdatePSLFSS Slow DC servo is turned off (not temporary)

[Koji Rana]

The FSS Slow DC servo was turned off.

As MCL stabilizes the MC_F (Fast PZT), we no longer need to use the laser temp to do so.

In other word, if you like to turn off the MCL servo for some reason, we need to turn it on in order to keep the MC locked.

  7273   Fri Aug 24 20:48:10 2012 KojiUpdatePSLPMC aligned

as usual.

  7292   Tue Aug 28 00:23:54 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPMC alignment going bad

PMC transmission started going down this afternoon, around 3pm-ish.  Right now it's 0.775, which is very, very low.  The new MC locking stuff is engaged, so it's not the FSS slow servo's fault. 

EDIT: I just realized that the limit of 0 counts output of the MC2 MCL filter bank was still engaged, from a time earlier this afternoon when I had switched back to the old servo, so there was no feedback going back to keep the slow drift of the laser in check.  PMC trans isn't coming back instantly, so I'll check it again when I come in tomorrow.

Attachment 1: PMC_transmission_GoingDown_27Aug2012.png
PMC_transmission_GoingDown_27Aug2012.png
  7294   Tue Aug 28 11:28:31 2012 ericqUpdatePSLPMC alignment going bad

Quote:

PMC transmission started going down this afternoon, around 3pm-ish.  Right now it's 0.775, which is very, very low.  The new MC locking stuff is engaged, so it's not the FSS slow servo's fault. 

EDIT: I just realized that the limit of 0 counts output of the MC2 MCL filter bank was still engaged, from a time earlier this afternoon when I had switched back to the old servo, so there was no feedback going back to keep the slow drift of the laser in check.  PMC trans isn't coming back instantly, so I'll check it again when I come in tomorrow.

 

By adjusting the PMC steering mirrors, Jenne and I realigned the PMC input beam. Transmission is at 0.829 now. 

  7295   Tue Aug 28 16:27:22 2012 ericqUpdatePSLPBS and Half Wave plates introduced

[Jenne, Eric]

We installed a Half Wave Plate -> Polarized Beam Splitter -> Half Wave Plate in the PSL beam line, immediately after the EOM, to be used for attenuating the beam when we vent, as in Entry 6892.

It was illuminating to discover that the optics labeled QWP0-1064-10-2 are indeed half wave plates, instead of quarter wave plates as QWP suggests. 

The PBS transmits "P"/Horizontal polarization, but the beam coming from the EOM is "S"/Vertically polarized, and we want to keep that, since we do not want the beam attenuated quite yet. 

So, we use the HWP to rotate the P from the EOM to S, so that the majority of the power passes through the PBS. The second HWP then rotates the transmitted S back into P, which continues to the mode cleaner. When we want to attenuate, we will simply rotate the first HWP to change the proportion of S polarized light that will pass straight through the PBS and towards the mode cleaner. 

After setting the proper HWP angles, we aligned the PBS via minimizing the MC reflection.

Since we have not yet attenuated the power, we have not yet changed the BS for the MC reflection, since this would damage the PD. The beam splitter will be changed out for a 100% reflectivity mirror to increase the power to the PD when we do.

 

  7297   Tue Aug 28 17:16:54 2012 ericqUpdatePSLPower reduced!

We have now reduced the power being input to the MC from 1.25W to 10mW, and changed out the MC refl BS for a mirror. 

The power was reduced via the PBS we introduced in Entry 7295.

While we were in there, we took a look at the AS beam, which was looking clipped on the monitor. Jenne felt that it appears that the clipping seems to be occurring inside the vacuum, possibly on the faraday. This will be investigated during the vent. 

  7298   Tue Aug 28 17:43:04 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPower reduced!

Quote:

We have now reduced the power being input to the MC from 1.25W to 10mW, and changed out the MC refl BS for a mirror. 

The power was reduced via the PBS we introduced in Entry 7295.

While we were in there, we took a look at the AS beam, which was looking clipped on the monitor. Jenne felt that it appears that the clipping seems to be occurring inside the vacuum, possibly on the faraday. This will be investigated during the vent. 

 I stopped the regular MC autolocker and told the crontab to startup the low power Mc autolocker on op340m.  Also, since we now have the new MC2 transmission setup, the power that gets to the 'regular' MC trans PD is lower, so I've lowered the lock threshold to 50 counts, from 100 counts.

  7299   Tue Aug 28 17:51:39 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPBS and Half Wave plates introduced

Quote:

[Jenne, Eric]

We installed a Half Wave Plate -> Polarized Beam Splitter -> Half Wave Plate in the PSL beam line, immediately after the EOM, to be used for attenuating the beam when we vent, as in Entry 6892.

It was illuminating to discover that the optics labeled QWP0-1064-10-2 are indeed half wave plates, instead of quarter wave plates as QWP suggests. 

The PBS transmits "P"/Horizontal polarization, but the beam coming from the EOM is "S"/Vertically polarized, and we want to keep that, since we do not want the beam attenuated quite yet. 

So, we use the HWP to rotate the P from the EOM to S, so that the majority of the power passes through the PBS. The second HWP then rotates the transmitted S back into P, which continues to the mode cleaner. When we want to attenuate, we will simply rotate the first HWP to change the proportion of S polarized light that will pass straight through the PBS and towards the mode cleaner. 

After setting the proper HWP angles, we aligned the PBS via minimizing the MC reflection.

Since we have not yet attenuated the power, we have not yet changed the BS for the MC reflection, since this would damage the PD. The beam splitter will be changed out for a 100% reflectivity mirror to increase the power to the PD when we do.

 

 Before we did this, I centered PSL POS and ANG, which gives us a reference of where the PSL beam was good when the MC spots were ~centered.  There had been a beam dump blocking them, possibly from the last time we put in the power attenuator optics.  This beam dump was moved a little to be out of the way of the PSL QPDs, and the PBS placed closer to the lens after the EOM, so that the PBS reflected beam is dumped.  However, we should not remove that razor dump when we remove the attenuation optics, since it is also dumping a stray IR beam from the PSL QPD pickoff windowd.

  7308   Wed Aug 29 17:02:41 2012 ericqUpdatePSLPower reduced!

Quote:

We have now reduced the power being input to the MC from 1.25W to 10mW, and changed out the MC refl BS for a mirror. 

The power was reduced via the PBS we introduced in Entry 7295.

While we were in there, we took a look at the AS beam, which was looking clipped on the monitor. Jenne felt that it appears that the clipping seems to be occurring inside the vacuum, possibly on the faraday. This will be investigated during the vent. 

 The power has been increased to 20mW. We got the 10mW number from the linked elog entry above. However, after venting we were having problems locking the MC. Upon investigating past elog posts, we found that 20mW was actually the power used in the past. The MC will now autolock. 

  7310   Wed Aug 29 17:35:34 2012 KojiUpdatePSLPower reduced!

The biggest reason why we could not lock the MC was that the beam was not properly hitting the MC REFL diode.

Now the MC REFL DC is about ~0.1 and 1.2 when the MC is and is not locked.

We increased the power according to the quantitative analysis of the intracavity power in this earlier entry

Autolocker script for the low power MC was modified so that the initial VCO gain is 3 in stead of 10.
The 2 steps of super boost were also enabled again.

  7337   Tue Sep 4 13:50:26 2012 ericqUpdatePSLPMC Realigned, power adjusted

 I adjusted the PMC alignment this morning, brought the transmission up to 0.83V.

After the lunch meeting, we found the the MC transmission was higher than recently seen. Turned out the HWP had drifted, causing 30mW to be input to the MC. I adjusted it back down to 20mW. 

  7382   Fri Sep 14 00:33:31 2012 ranaUpdatePSLPMC alignment - mystery in reflected power

The PMC reflection made it seem that the beam going into it was misaligned. I went to the table and aligned the input beam to maximize the PMC transmission. I got ~10% improvement.

Just to check if something was loose, I started tapping things upstream of the Faraday. When I tapped the actual PMC body it seemed to get unseated and the reflected (unlocked) power jumped up by more than a factor of two.

I don't understand how this could be. The attached trend of the PMC channels shows that ever since the PSL upgrade, the PMC refl has been at the low level of ~0.3 V, except for a brief phase soon after the upgrade late in 2010 and then also for a few hours early in May of 2012.

If the PMC body actually moved, it seems that the pointing into the MC would also change and I don't see that. So what else can it be? Is there some clipping or dust or a burn spot on the PMC REFL path?

The PMC refl image was lost after the body re-settled itself. Jenne and I re-aligned it and added a 0.5 ND filter to the existing ND in order to account for the higher power. We should hide all of the reflective ND filters and just use absorbtive ND for the cameras to prevent reflections.

a.png

This image of the past hour shows the event at just before midnight (0650 UTC) where the PMC reflection goes up from 0.28 to 0.85.

Attachment 1: pmcr.jpg
pmcr.jpg
Attachment 2: e.png
e.png
  7403   Tue Sep 18 20:32:42 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

 {Jan, Manasa}

We tried towards calibrating the RF driver of the AOM. We decided to use the normal power supply for both the driver control voltage and the ALC voltage.  But we could not figure out the type of the ALC port to find a compatible mating connector...it did not match with SMA, SMB or SMP. Finally I wrote to the company and got to know it is a filtered feed through. Now that we know how to control the ALC voltage, we will try looking at the signal for varying ALC voltage and see how that goes. 

But when we tried to see the 2W RF signal through the RF scope, with ALC open, we found that the RF signal was distorted and did not measure 80MHz.  It was lame that we did not get a snapshot 

P.S. The AOM has been left disconnected from the RF driver. 

  7409   Wed Sep 19 11:39:37 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

 {Jan, Manasa}

We tried towards calibrating the RF driver of the AOM. We decided to use the normal power supply for both the driver control voltage and the ALC voltage.  But we could not figure out the type of the ALC port to find a compatible mating connector...it did not match with SMA, SMB or SMP. Finally I wrote to the company and got to know it is a filtered feed through. Now that we know how to control the ALC voltage, we will try looking at the signal for varying ALC voltage and see how that goes. 

But when we tried to see the 2W RF signal through the RF scope, with ALC open, we found that the RF signal was distorted and did not measure 80MHz.  It was lame that we did not get a snapshot 

P.S. The AOM has been left disconnected from the RF driver. 

 {Jan, Manasa}

We started again to calibrate the RF driver. We connected the ALC to the power supply and observed the output RF power on the scope. The RF power did change with ALC voltage, but the RF signal still seems not to be operating at 80MHz 

There is some kind of additional disturbance to the waveform at 80MHz (the frequency of just the waveform with tall peaks or small peaks alone). We made sure we get a snapshot this time!! I am not sure if it will be safe to feed this RF signal to the AOM as such

ALC_25.png

  7411   Wed Sep 19 15:41:27 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

 

 AOM driver has been removed from the PSL table for testing. However the AOM is still inside; so there should be no problems with the alignment. 

  7414   Wed Sep 19 23:17:25 2012 ranaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Mannasa and Unni and I looked at the RF driver for the AOM. It was fine.

With the ALC input left unconnected, with the power supply set to +28V, it was drawing 0.56 A.

By adjusting the modulation input we were able to get 1.1 Vrms into the scope (terminated at 50 Ohms) after going through 2 10dB attenuators. 11 Vrms into 50 Ohms is 33.8 dBm ~ 2W.

The RF power trimpot on the front of the driver is now adjusted so that -0.31 to 0.69 V takes the driver output from off to 2W output at 80 MHz.

 

The previous distorted signal that Jan and Manasa saw was at a level of ~100 mVrms, which is ~0.5 mW of power. At this tiny drive level, the internal amplifier is not linear and is mostly putting out a signal at ~160 MHz.

 

We checked by putting a square wave into the modulation input that the RF power from the driver would indeed shut off with a time scale of ~20 ns. Manasa will add a picture to this entry. We are ready now to calibrate the transmitted power of the AOM v. the modulation input voltage and then to measure the step time of the AOM.

Remember: do NOT believe the spec sheet of whatever PD you are using. All commercial PDs are slower than they advertise. In order to measure a <1 us step time you must use a PD with a >50 MHz 'bandwidth'.

  7416   Thu Sep 20 01:29:04 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

Mannasa and Unni and I looked at the RF driver for the AOM. It was fine.

With the ALC input left unconnected, with the power supply set to +28V, it was drawing 0.56 A.

By adjusting the modulation input we were able to get 1.1 Vrms into the scope (terminated at 50 Ohms) after going through 2 10dB attenuators. 11 Vrms into 50 Ohms is 33.8 dBm ~ 2W.

The RF power trimpot on the front of the driver is now adjusted so that -0.31 to 0.69 V takes the driver output from off to 2W output at 80 MHz.

 

The previous distorted signal that Jan and Manasa saw was at a level of ~100 mVrms, which is ~0.5 mW of power. At this tiny drive level, the internal amplifier is not linear and is mostly putting out a signal at ~160 MHz.

 

We checked by putting a square wave into the modulation input that the RF power from the driver would indeed shut off with a time scale of ~20 ns. Manasa will add a picture to this entry. We are ready now to calibrate the transmitted power of the AOM v. the modulation input voltage and then to measure the step time of the AOM.

Remember: do NOT believe the spec sheet of whatever PD you are using. All commercial PDs are slower than they advertise. In order to measure a <1 us step time you must use a PD with a >50 MHz 'bandwidth'.

Attachment 1: TEK00000.PNG
TEK00000.PNG
  7425   Fri Sep 21 12:12:56 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

    {Jan, Manasa}

We installed the AOM driver back on the PSL table this morning. To calibrate the AOM RF output we connected a 1V dc to the modulation input of the driver and we are convinced with the setup.

Before we direct the rf signal to the AOM, in order to check its diffraction efficiency, we would like to setup an rf PD at the AOM output. We think we have place for a filter and PD after the AOM (replacing a beam dump) and would like to confirm the position before we actually install them. The layout is the picture below showing sweet spots for the new pd to sit. If you think it may disturb the system in any way, let us know!

PSL.png

  7464   Tue Oct 2 16:15:22 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

    {Jan, Manasa}

We installed the AOM driver back on the PSL table this morning. To calibrate the AOM RF output we connected a 1V dc to the modulation input of the driver and we are convinced with the setup.

Before we direct the rf signal to the AOM, in order to check its diffraction efficiency, we would like to setup an rf PD at the AOM output. We think we have place for a filter and PD after the AOM (replacing a beam dump) and would like to confirm the position before we actually install them. The layout is the picture below showing sweet spots for the new pd to sit. If you think it may disturb the system in any way, let us know!

 

The rf PD and filter have been installed at the earlier proposed spot on the PSL table.  

psl_aom.png

  7471   Wed Oct 3 16:52:16 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

{Jan, Manasa}

We set start to check the performance of the AOM on the PSL table. The AOM driver spits out ~1.5W rf at 80MHz for 1V DC at its modulation input. In order to align the AOM, we reduced the input power to the AOM to ~10% using the QWP between the PBS and the laser. We touched the steering mirror before the AOM...but did not succeed in getting any appreciable first order deflection. We then released the AOM mount and moved it a few microns in and out until we obtained a significant change in power along the zero-order beam from 400mV to 100mV when the rf power was changed from 0 to ~1.5W (by changing modulation input from 0 to 1V).  The AOM was clamped at this alignment and the QWP was rotated to give maximum input power. 

During the course of aligning the AOM, the PMC unlocked and was restored after the alignment. 

All went well without having to make any emergency calls to anyone

We will now have to think about switching the AOM on and off for ringdown measurements. This could be done by either using a high-power rf switch or by switching the modulation DC input between 0 and 1V; whichever will be more comfortable to take many many ringdown measurements.

 

  7474   Wed Oct 3 23:36:54 2012 KojiConfigurationPSLAOM installation

After the AOM work the beam wasn't well aligned to the PMC. The PMC REFL CCD shows large misalignment in yaw.

Attachment 1: PMCTRANS.png
PMCTRANS.png
  7479   Thu Oct 4 17:54:59 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

After the AOM work the beam wasn't well aligned to the PMC. The PMC REFL CCD shows large misalignment in yaw.

 {Jan, Manasa, Den}

We wanted to align the PMC and followed Koji's procedure detailed to us by mail. We touched the 2 steering mirrors in front of the PMC for alignment.

- Stand in front of the PMC.
- Find an oscillosocpe on the shelf in the PSL enclosure.
- This has two signals connected. One is the PMC refl dc.
  The other is the PMC trans dc.
- Minimize the refl. Maximize the trans.
- You have the CRT monitor on the MC chamber.
- Project the image of the PMC refl CCD.
  This should show some what symmetric image like an LG mode.
- Use the dataviewer to see how C1:PSL-PMC_PMCTRANSPD is recovered.

We were able to obtain 0.7 at PMC trans; but the PMC was never really stable dropped from 0.7 to 0 abruptly from time to time.

Jenne and Jamie also find that the PMC is behaving very weird 

Summary: Problem unresolved 

 

  7480   Thu Oct 4 18:48:04 2012 janoschConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

Jenne and Jamie also find that the PMC is behaving very weird 

 Can someone detail what "weird" means? Is it singing old songs from Guns & Roses?

  7481   Thu Oct 4 20:57:43 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

Quote:

Jenne and Jamie also find that the PMC is behaving very weird 

 Can someone detail what "weird" means? Is it singing old songs from Guns & Roses?

 It isn't singing Jan..it's dancing between 0.7 to 0 and we are not able to figure out whose the DJ ; there seems to be something else that is controlling the PMC as there is no coordination between what we do (tweaking the mirrors) and what we observe (the PD signals).

  7482   Thu Oct 4 22:16:28 2012 KojiConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Do more investigation to understand what is causing the power reduction.

Is the alignment inadequate? Check the in-lock ccd image.

Is the incident power reduced? (by what?) Use dataviewer.

Is the AOM doing something? Is it active? Then how much power is it eating?

BY THE WAY, how the deflected beam is dumped?
If you don't have anything for blocking the 1st order beam, you have to expect Steve coming to you.

  7483   Thu Oct 4 22:16:40 2012 DenUpdatePSLPMC is locked

PZT monitor is not lying to us, I've measured it with a voltmeter. But PMC SERVO is still interesting. If I break the loop after PMCERR signal monitor (C1:PSL-PMC_BLANK=0), I can change PZT voltage from 0V (C1:PSL-PMC_RAMP = -7.3) to 132V (C1:PSL-PMC_RAMP=-10.0). If I break the loop by enabling TEST1, PZT voltage goes up to 294 V, though voltage on the TEST1 and MIXER MON is 0.

  7492   Fri Oct 5 14:53:29 2012 JenneUpdatePSLTTFSS board not fully seated!

[Den, Jenne]

Den noticed that the -15V LED on the TTFSS board was not illuminated.  A further symptom of the FSS being funny was that the PC RMS Drive was constantly high (3.6 ish) and the FAST Monitor was very high, often saturated. 

We took the TTFSS board out, and put an extender card in, and it looked like all of the correct power is being supplied to the board (the +\- 24V LEDs on the extender card were illuminated).  Just to check, we put the board back in, and this time both +\- 15V LEDs came on.  So it looks like the board is fine, it just wasn't seated in there all the way.

Now the readbacks on the FSS screen look good (PC RMS Drive is less than 1, FAST Mon is 5ish), the MC is locked, and I think we're back in business. 

 

  7494   Fri Oct 5 18:08:17 2012 ManasaConfigurationPSLAOM installation

Quote:

Do more investigation to understand what is causing the power reduction.

Is the alignment inadequate? Check the in-lock ccd image.

Is the incident power reduced? (by what?) Use dataviewer.

Is the AOM doing something? Is it active? Then how much power is it eating?

BY THE WAY, how the deflected beam is dumped?
If you don't have anything for blocking the 1st order beam, you have to expect Steve coming to you.

The PMC has been aligned and is all happy happy 

I have installed an  iris to dump the higher order beams deflected by the AOM. After installing the iris, I found that the PMC trans dropped to 0.58V and the PMC misaligned in pitch. So I've touched the 2 steering mirrors before the PMC. Now it is satisfactorily locked with PMC trans at 0.84.

I have also checked the alignment with AOM switched on. PMC trans drops to 0.15 with AOM on and comes back to 0.84 when AOM is switched off without losing lock .

  7501   Mon Oct 8 11:15:53 2012 JenneUpdatePSLPMC and FSS had a weird weekend

Something bizarre-o was going on with the PMC and FSS over the weekend.  On the striptool, PMC's PZT looks like it was doing a sawtooth pattern for several hours.  I opened up the FSS screen, and the FSS SLOWDC had walked itself up to +10.  It's not supposed to get that far from 0. 

Here are some trends, so you can see what was going on.

10 day trend:  This weird behavior began ~Friday evening (FSS_SLOWDC ramps quickly).

PMC_sawtooth_FSSweird_8Oct2012_10dayTrend.png

1 day trend:  You can see the sawtooth pattern in PMC_PZT more clearly here.  It's at the same time as the FSS_SLOWDC is ramping rapidly, and the FSS_FAST is saturated.

PMC_sawtooth_FSSweird_8Oct2012_1dayTrend.png

Attachment 2: PMC_sawtooth_FSSweird_8Oct2012_1dayTrend.png
PMC_sawtooth_FSSweird_8Oct2012_1dayTrend.png
  7590   Mon Oct 22 21:20:36 2012 JenneUpdatePSLBeam attenuation optics in place

[Jenne, Raji (before dinner)]

We put the beam attenuation optics in place.  Before putting any optics down, I centered the IOO QPDs, then adjusted the HWPs and PBS such that we remained centered on those QPDs.

Now, I'm about to unblock the beam and let ~100mW into the vacuum so I can lock the MC.  Steve and Manasa were putting on the light access connector when I left earlier, so I'm excited to use it!

  7766   Fri Nov 30 11:38:35 2012 SteveUpdatePSLfoil removed from enclosure

Aluminum foil replaced by sheet metal on Enclosure and AP table.

Attachment 1: IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
  7778   Mon Dec 3 17:04:12 2012 AyakaUpdatePSLPMC calibration for MC_F calibration

In order to calibrate MC_F signal, I need to know the calibration value from thorlab's PZT driver to laser frequency.
The calibration value should be ~ 15MHz/V (the PZT driver has 15 gain, and the laser has the calibration value of ~ 1MHz/V according to the laser spec sheet), but I want to confirm it.
This can be measured by sweeping the input voltage of the PZT driver and see the transmission signal from unlocked PMC.
 

1. Response of PMC transmission when the signal is inputted to laser PZT

I inputted 0.2 Hz triangular wave with 5Vamp and 2.5V offset into the PZT driver and see the transmission signal from PMC. After the PZT driver and before the laser, there is an analog low pass filter but its cut off frequency is 1 Hz so I did not take it into consideration. 
DSC_4955.JPGsweep_PZTdriver.png(TEK00000.CSV, TEK00001.CSV in the zip file)

I could not the side-band resonances. I guess it was because the generated signal is not big enough (but still the maximum range of the signal generator.)
Therefore, in order to calibrate the input voltage to the frequency, I need to know finesse or FWHM frequency.
 

2. Responce of PMC transmission when the voltage of PZT on the PMC is swept

In order to measure the finesse and FWHM frequency, I also swept the PMC PZT voltage with the DC offset slider at the FSS.adl and tried to measure the finesse of PMC. (reference: elog #904)
PMC_PZT_FSR.pdftrans_fit.png(PMC-PZTcal_121203.xml in the zip file)

The result of fitting:

V_FSR (the PZT voltage difference between the 2 resonances) ~ 63 +/- 7 V (= 731MHz (given))
V_FWHM (the PZT voltage to sweep FWHM) ~  0.32 +/- 0.04 V (~ 3.7 MHz)
Finesse ~ 200 +/- 30

However, this finesse value is much smaller than the value on the Wiki, 800. (Manasa showed me.)
V_FSR is comparable to the result Rana got at the referenced elog. But I am not sure about the V_FWHM because it is hard to figure out how large the PZT voltage changed from the template file (PMC-PZTcal.xml).
Are those mode wrong? But if so, where is the correct mode resonances? I think they should be visible...
 

3. Calibration value 

When I know the FWHM frequency, I can calibrate the input on the PZT driver into laser frequency.

The results are:

if I take the finesse of 800 and FSR of 731 MHz (the values on the Wiki): ~5.0 MHz/V
if I take the finesse of 200 and FSR of 731 MHz (the measured value): ~20.0 MHz/V

Actually, the measured value is closer to the value calculated from the spec sheet.

Hmm... Does anyone find falses in my measurement?
If not, the finesse can be 4 times smaller than the value which was 5 years ago?

Attachment 5: PMC-PZTcal_121203.zip
  7779   Tue Dec 4 01:43:37 2012 ranaUpdatePSLPMC calibration for MC_F calibration

  If you can't find the PMC sidebands in the transmission, its because the SNR is too small.

It may be a better idea to look at the PMC error signal, since the DC signal there is suppressed by the demodulation.

  7782   Tue Dec 4 11:30:36 2012 ZachUpdatePSLPMC calibration for MC_F calibration

In order to have less unknown, you can calibrate the PMC PZT separately. Lock the PMC and take a transfer function from either the NPRO PZT input or the FSS AOM VCO input to the PMC control signal. The VCO is better, since the calibration should be much better known, but I am not sure what the current setup of the 40m PSL is, so I don't know if the FSS is normally locked.

Since you know the NPRO PZT or VCO actuation coefficients, you can assume the PMC loop (where the OL gain is high enough) is correcting for the frequency fluctuations. So, simply multiply the known coefficient by the transfer function to get the PMC PZT gain.

Then, you can re-do your PMC PZT sweep measurement and be confident of the calibration. The FSR must be right, so you can get the finesse with confidence.

Quote:

Hmm... Does anyone find falses in my measurement?
If not, the finesse can be 4 times smaller than the value which was 5 years ago?

 

  7810   Tue Dec 11 11:40:07 2012 Manasa, AyakaUpdatePSLPMC drift

[Manasa, Ayaka]

I found that MC got unstable this morning. This is caused by the drift of PMC. The transmission of PMC was going down and eventually unlocked PMC.

PMCdrift121211.pdf

We adjusted 'Slow Actuator Adjust' in FSS and now the PMC is locked with transmission of ~ 0.735.
Also we aligned the MC to be locked. Now it is locked with transmission of ~ 0.5 with WFS and MCL on.

  7811   Tue Dec 11 19:51:36 2012 KojiUpdatePSLPMC gain was too low / EPICS alerting value for PMC updated

[Ayaka, Koji]

Ayaka pointed out that the PMC has too low unity gain frequency. We checked the history of "C1:PSL-PMC_GAIN"
and found that the gain was minimum from the Friday night. It was returned to nominal gain of 10.

The PMC screen had the gain status indicator always red. This was because C1:PSL-STAT_PMC_NOM_GAIN was 2 instead of 10.
This was fixed by the following command.

ezcawrite C1:PSL-STAT_PMC_NOM_GAIN 10

This will be recorded by the snapshot in an hour.

Another annoying false alerm on the PMC screen was the PMC transmission monitor.
In order to fix this, the following commands were executed.

ezcawrite C1:PSL-PMC_PMCTRANSPD.LOLO 0.75
ezcawrite C1:PSL-PMC_PMCTRANSPD.LOW 0.8
ezcawrite C1:PSL-PMC_PMCTRANSPD.HIGH 0.9
ezcawrite C1:PSL-PMC_PMCTRANSPD.HIHI 0.95

Also the corresponding EPICS database (/cvs/cds/caltech/target/c1psl/psl.db) has been updated accordingly.

  7823   Thu Dec 13 17:24:53 2012 AyakaUpdatePSLPMC calibration for MC_F calibration

 I calibrated MC_F signal into Hz/rtHz unit using the transfer function from MC_F to PMC feedback signal.

Here is the diagram:
  MC-PMCservo.jpg

n_mcf is MC_F signal we can get at dtt. I measured n_pmc/n'_mcf using SR.

TF_mcf-pmc.png

Other information I used:

G_out = 2.49/123.49 (see the document D980352-E01-C)

Fout has 1 pole at 10 Hz (see the document D980352-E01-C)

A_pzt = 371e+6/63 [Hz/V] (see elog)

F_wt has 1 pole at 100 Hz and 1 zero at 10 Hz.

Then, calibration transfer function of H is fitted as 1e+9/f [Hz/V]:

H.png

Then, the calibrated spectrum of MC_F is below:

 MCF_calib.pdf

This calibration have about 20 % error.
Compared to the spectrum in Jenne's paper (elog), above 20 Hz it seems to be laser frequency noise. But now we have extra unknown noise below 10 Hz.

Note: calibration value of laser's PZT is ~ 1MHz/V. This is reasonable compared to the data sheet of the laser. (This is calculated by combining result of H and transfer function of the circuit box1 and FSS.)

 laser.png

Attachment 6: calib.zip
ELOG V3.1.3-