This evening I added a second ADC module to the prototype Acromag chassis. This chassis can now read out all the PSL diagnostic channels.
I configured the second ADC identically to the first ("ADC0"), and assigned it IP address 192.168.113.122. I confirmed it is visible on the martian network.
There was an existing but unused DB-15 feedthrough which I used for ADC1 channels 1-7. The eighth channel I left unwired, but there are slots available in the neighboring DB-25 feedthough, if that channel is needed in the future. The channel wiring assignments are as follows.
I tested all seven of these channels by applying a calibrated voltage source and measuring the response via the Windows Acromag software. All work and are correctly calibrated to better than 0.1%.
I've started setting up the last new rackmount SuperMicro as a dedicated server for the GigE cameras. The new machine is currently sitting on the end of the electronics test bench. It is assigned the hostname c1cam at IP 192.168.113.116 on the martian network. I've installed Debian 10, which will be officially supported until July 2024.
I've added the /cvs/cds NFS mount and plan to house all the client/server code on this network disk. Any dependencies that must be built from source will be put on the network disk as well. Any dependencies that can be gotten through the package manager, however, will be installed locally but in an automated way using a reqs file.
We should ask Chub to reorder several more SuperMicro rackmount machines, SSD drives, and DRAM cards. Gautam has the list of parts from Johannes' last order.
Recently, accordian to Gautam, the NDS2 server has been dying on Megatron ~daily or weekly. The prescription is to restart the server.
Also, megatron is running Ubuntu 12 !! Let's decide on a day to upgrade it to a Debian 18ish....word from Rolf is that Scientific Linux is fading out everywhere, so Debian is the new operating system for all conformists.
# this function gets some data (from the 40m) and saves it as
# a .mat file for the matlabs
# Ex. python -O getData.py
from scipy.io import savemat,loadmat
import scipy.signal as sig
from astropy.time import Time
Since there has been a proliferation of BHD Google docs recently, I've linked them all from the BHD wiki page. Let's continue adding any new docs to this central list.
I've created a purchase list of hardware needed to restore the aging vacuum system. This wasn't planned as part of the BHD upgrade, but I've added it to the BHD procurement list since hardware replacements have become necessary.
The list proposes replacing the aging TP3 Varian turbo pump with the newer Agilent model which has already replaced TP2. It seems I was mistaken in believing we already had a second Agilent pump on hand. A thorough search of the lab has not turned it up, and Steve himself has told me he doesn't remember ordering a second one. Fortunately Steve did leave us a detailed Agilent parts list [ELOG 14322].
It also proposes replacing the glitching TP2 Agilent controller with a new one. The existing one can be sent back for repair and then retained as a spare. Considering that one of these controllers is already malfunctioning after < 2 years, I think it's a very good idea to have a spare on hand.
Below is our current list of vacuum hardware issues. Items that this purchase list will address (limited to only the most urgent) are highlighted in yellow.
- Turn off the MC autolocker. Relock the MC with only the acquisition settings; no boosts
and no RGs. This makes it re-acquire fast. Turn the MC-WFS gain down to 0.001 so that
it keeps it slowly aligned but does not drift off when you lose lock.
- Use low-ish gain on the FSS. 10 dB lower than nominal is fine.
- Setup the o'scope (100 MHz BW or greater) to do single shot trigger on the MC2 trans.
- Flip FSS sign.
- Quickly flip sign back and waggle common gain to get FSS to stop oscillating. MC
should relock in seconds.