[Radhika, Paco, Anchal]
I placed a lens in the B-beam path to focus the beam spot onto the RFPD [Attachment 1]. To align the beam spot onto the RFPD, Anchal misaligned both ETMs and ITMY so that the AS and LO beams would not interfere, and the PD output would remain at some DC level (not fringing). The RFPD response was then maximized by scanning over pitch and yaw of the final mirror in the beam path (attached to the RFPD).
Later Anchal noticed that there was no RFPD output (C1:LSC-BH55_I_ERR, C1:LSC-BH55_Q_ERR). I took out the RFPD and opened it up, and the RF OUT SMA to PCB connection wire was broken [Attachment 2]. I re-soldered the wire and closed up the box [Attachment 3]. After placing the RFPD back, we noticed spikes in C1:LSC-BH55_I_ERR and C1:LSC-BH55_Q_ERR channels on ndscope. We suspect there is still a loose connection, so I will revisit the RFPD circuit on Monday.
A design flaw in these initial LIGO RFPDs is that the SMA connector is not strain releieved by mounting to the case. Since it is only mounted to the tin can, when we attach/remove cables, it bends the connector, causing stress on the joint.
To get around this, for this gold box RFPD, connect the SMA connector to the PCB using a S shaped squiggly wire. Don't use multi-strand: this is usually good, since its more flexible, but in this case it affects the TF too much. Really, it would be best to use a coax cable, but a few-turns cork-screw, or pig-tail of single-core wire should be fine to reduce the stress on the solder joint.
I further updated LSC model today with following changes:
The model built and installed with no issues.
Further, the slow epics channels for BH55 anti-aliasing switch and whitening switch were added in /cvs/cds/caltech/target/c1iscaux/C1_ISC-AUX_LSCPDs.db
The IPC issue that we were facing earlier is resolved now. The BH55_I and BH55_Q signal after phase rotation is successfully reaching c1hpc model where it can be used to lock LO phase. To resolve this issue, I had to restart all the models. I also power cycled the LSC I/O chassis during this restart as Tega suspected that such a power cycle is required while adding new dolphin channels. But there is no way to find out if that was required or not. Good news is that with the new cds upgrade, restarting rtcds models will be much easier and modular.
Since ETMY does not use HV coil driver anymore, the watchdog on ETMY needs to be similar to other new optics. We made these updated today. Now ETMY watchdog while slowly ramps down the alignment offsets when it is tripped.
We followed rana's suggestion for stress relief on the SMA joint in the BH55 RFPD that Radhika resoldered. We used a single core, pigtailed wire segment after cleaning up the solder joint on J7 (RF Out) and also soldered the SMA shield to the RF cage (see Attachment #1). This had a really good effect on the rigidity of the connection, so we moved back to the ITMY table.
We measured the TEST in to RF Out transfer function using the Agilent network analyzer, just to see the qualitative features (resonant gain at around 55 MHz and second harmonic suppression at around 110 MHz) shown in Attachment #2. We used 10kOhm series resistance in test input path to calibrate the measured transimpedance in V/A. The RFPD has been installed in the ITMY table and connected to the PD interface box and IQ demod boards in the LSC rack as before.
Locked LO phase to ITMX single bounce beam at the AS port, using the DCPD (A-B) error point and actuating on LO1 POS. For this the gain was tuned from 0.6 to 4.0. A rough Michelson fringe calibration gives a counts to meters conversion of ~ 0.212 nm/count.