I finally tracked down the problem with the c1oaf model to the BLRMS part:
Note that this is pulling from a cds/common location, so presumably this is a part that's also being used at the sites.
Either there was an svn up that pulled in something new and broken, or the local version is broken, or who knows what.
We'll have to figure how what's going on here, but in the mean time, as I already mentioned, I'm leaving the c1oaf model off for now.
RXA: also...we updated Ottavia to Ubuntu 12 LTS...but now it has no working network connection. Needs help. (which of course has nothing whatsoever to do with this point )