Inspired by a comment by Koji the other day, I spent some time yesterday and today working on locking a (very lossy) power recycled Y-arm. ITMX was misaligned, to save myself the headache of dealing with ITMY getting a sign flip and ITMX staying the same when the arm resonates.
My main goal was to achieve high bandwidth control with the analog CARM servo.
TL,DR: Transisitoned 90% to REFLDC through CM_SLOW at TRY = 2.1 twice. Couldn't make it all the way over.
The PRC was very stable in this configuration, which doesn't surprise me due to its simplicity. I was honestly a little surprised there was enough light to lock on 3f. REFL33 didn't work.
My efforts to bring the Y-arm into lock were very similar to the CARM procedure we've been using recently. (Which is the motivation for this exercise)
At first I was actuating on ETMY, and got to the point where I wanted to start bringing in the CARM servo slow output, then realized that I didn't want to actuate both on the ETM and MC AO. (Maybe this would be doable, but in the end, not what I'm interested in learning about in terms of overlap with CARM locking)
From then on, I only actuated YARM on MC2. (Heads up, my lock-losses will show up in the trends of the MC2 Trans addition to the WFS.)
Transitioning the arm to SqrtInv TRY control was just as straightforward as it has been for CARM. However, engaging the LSCLock FM (FM4), would sometimes work beautifully, and sometimes kick the hell out of MC2. Keeping an eye on the error signal spectrum and UGF gave no indication which outcome would happen. Once FM4 could be engaged, the transmitted power was very stable. Without FM4, reducing the offset didn't get very far without losing lock.
I tried a few times to bring in CM_slow (set to just IN2, i.e. offset adjusted REFLDC), at arbitrary arm powers, with little success. I didn't know how much arm power to expect at resonance, and thus didn't really know where on the line width I was.
I knew I was mostly outside of the linear regime of the PDH signals, since, even though I had good coherence between, say, REFL11 I and SqrtInvTry, with an ETMY excitation on; when I would turn TRY normalization on/off, I would see the sign of the TF change.
I then realized that I could actively keep an eye on the trend of POY11, to see when I got to the PDH "hump", which is where REFLDC starts being usable, and SqrtInv is reaching its limit.
This brought me to a YARM offset of .115, with a steady TRY of about 2.1. I adjusted the analog offset of the REFLDC input to the CARM board, and the digital gain of the CMSLOW input filter to get 1:1 correspondence between CMSLOW and the SQRTINVY channels. Their spectra were neigh identical, with CMSLOW having slightly more high frequency noise.
I started stepping SQRTINV down by .1, and upping CMSLOW by .1. This shifted the offset around, so I opted for taking away gain before bringing it back, because I didn't want to get so close to resonance that SQRTINV would freak out. I got to .1*SQRTINVY + .9*CMSLOW, and lost lock. TRY was getting noisier as I made the transition.
I'm not sure what exactly was the reason for failure. I'm going to go back over some of the data to try to get an idea.. Maybe I should've loosened up some of the gain/boosts during the transition.
So, no great success story yet, but this configuration is a lot simpler than the full PRFPMI, and I feel that I should soon be able to get it fully controlled, and figure out a systematic way to make the digital to analog transition for this PRFP cavity, and thus have a much more informed basis for doing the same for CARM control.