Over the last three days, I've had the interferometer to test and optimize the ASX Servo. Based on what I have seen, I think the conclusion is that with the current parameters, the servo does its job provided the input pointing set up at the endtable with the coarse adjustment knobs is reasonably good. Once the cavity is aligned and IR transmission maximized using ASS, I have been able to get the green transmission up to 0.8 which is close to the best we had pre-vent. I have not been elogging regularly over the last few days, so this one is going to be a longish one.
Major changes made:
Details of tests runs:
For the most part, I have been trying to optimize the PZT mirror dither servo. To this end, I did the following:
Attempt to measure transfer function:
One of the things that came up during my presentation was how fast the loop was capable of responding. I was able to get a quantitative idea of this by playing around with the overall servo gain. Initially, it took ~30 seconds for the servo to get the transmission up to its peak value, with a servo gain of 1. When I ramped this up to 5, the response was much faster, with the peak transmission being reached in ~5seconds.
I wanted to get a more quantitative picture, and hence tried to measure the transfer function by first injecting an excitation into the 'SIG' filter-bank in the demodulation stage. However, coherence between the IN1 and IN2 signals was very poor for all the amplitude configurations I tried. At Jenne's suggestion, I tried injecting the excitation at the control-filters stage, but found no improvement. Perhaps the amplitude envelope was wrong or the measurement technique has to be rethought.
New MEDM screen: