Today I finished building the adding/subtracting circuit for the QPD and tested that the QPD could see a laser moving across its visual field for both pitch and yaw. It didn't seem to behave weirdly (saturate) at the edges, but I need to test this more carefully to be sure.
However, this circuit uses many op amps, which will cause problems for building the actual circuit to fit into the QPD box. I am trying to figure out how to do this with fewer op amps (both with a quad op amp for amplifying the signals from the QPD and by summing/subtracting the signals with a single op amp instead of 3).
I finally got around to asking Steve to order more breadboards! Trying to determine what would be a good QPD to order for the final circuit, since we do not have any unmounted QPDs that aren't ancient. I'll read up on things I don't know enough about (namely op amps).