40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  40m Log  Not logged in ELOG logo
Entry  Wed Oct 24 19:55:06 2012, jamie, Update, , my assesment of the folding mirror (passive tip-tilt) situation 
    Reply  Wed Oct 24 20:09:41 2012, jamie, Update, , installing the new dirchoic mirros in PR3/SR3 
    Reply  Thu Oct 25 02:10:22 2012, Koji, Update, , my assesment of the folding mirror (passive tip-tilt) situation 
       Reply  Thu Oct 25 08:04:45 2012, Steve, Update, SUS, my assesment of the folding mirror (passive tip-tilt) situation IMG_1748.JPG
    Reply  Thu Oct 25 06:49:49 2012, Koji, Update, , my assesment of the folding mirror (passive tip-tilt) situation 
Message ID: 7612     Entry time: Wed Oct 24 19:55:06 2012     Reply to this: 7613   7617   7618
Author: jamie 
Type: Update 
Category:  
Subject: my assesment of the folding mirror (passive tip-tilt) situation 

We removed all the folding mirrors ({P,S}R{2,3}) from the IFO and took them into the bake lab clean room.  The idea was that at the very least we would install the new dichroic mirrors, and then maybe replace the suspension wires with thinner ones.

I went in to spend some quality time with one of the tip-tilts.  I got the oplev setup working to characterize the pointing.

I grabbed tip-tilt SN003, which was at PR2.  When I set it up it  was already pointing down by a couple cm over about a meter, which is worse than what we were seeing when it was installed.  I assume it got jostled during transport to the clean room?

I removed the optic that was in there and tried installing one of the dichroics.  It was essentially not possible to remove the optic without bending the wires by quite a bit (~45 degrees).  I decided to remove the whole suspension system (top clamps and mirror assembly) so that I could lay it flat on the table to swap the optic.

I was able to put in the dichroic without much trouble and get the suspension assembly back on to the frame.  I adjusted the clamp at the mirror mount to get it hanging back vertical again.  I was able to get it more-or-less vertical without too much trouble.

I poked at the mirror mount a bit to see how I could affect the hysteresis.  The answer is quite a bit, and stochastically.  Some times I would man-handle it and it wouldn't move at all.  Sometimes I would poke it just a bit and it would move by something like a radian.

A couple of other things I noted:

  • The eddy current damping blocks are not at all suspended.  The wires are way too think, so they're basically flexures.  They were all pretty cocked, so I repositioned them by just pushing on them so they were all aligned and centered on the mirror mount magnets.
  • The mirror mounts are very clearly purposely made to be light.  All mass that could be milled out has been.  This is very confusing to me, since this is basically the entire problem.  Why were they designed to be so light?  What problem was that supposed to solve?

I also investigated the weights that Steve baked.  These won't work at all.  The gap between the bottom of the mirror mount and the base is too small.  Even the smalled "weights" would hit the base.  So that whole solution is a no-go.

What else can we do?

At this point not much.  We're not going to be able to install more masses without re-engineering things, which is going to take too much time.  We could install thinner wires.  The wires that are being used now are all 0.0036", and we could install 0.0017" wires.  The problem is that we would have to mill down the clamps in order to reuse them, which would be time consuming.

The plan

So at this point I say we just install the dichroics, get them nicely suspended, and then VERY CAREFULLY reinstall them.  We have to be careful we don't jostle them too much when we transport them back to the IFO.  They look like they were too jostled when they were transported to the clean room.

My big question right now is: is the plan to install new dichroics in PR2 and SR2 as well, or just in PR3 and SR3, where the green beams are extracted?  I think the answer is no, we only want to install new dichroics in {P,S}R3.

The future

If we're going to stick with these passive tip-tilts, I think we need to consider machining completely new mirror mounts, that are not designed to be so light.  I think that's basically the only way we're going to solve the hysteresis problem.

I also note that the new active tip-tilts that we're going to use for the IO steering mirrors are going to have all the same problems.  The frame is taller, so the suspensions are longer, but everything else, including the mirror mounts are exactly the same.  I can't see that they're not going to suffer the same issues.  Luckily we'll be able to point them so I guess we won't notice.

ELOG V3.1.3-