Unfortunately, after working on it all day, I had to abort the upgrade and revert the system back to yesterday's state.
I think I got most of the upgrade working, but for some reason I could never get the new models to talk to the framebuilder. Unfortunately, since the upgrade procedure isn't document anywhere, it was really a fly by the seat of my pants thing. I got some help from Joe, which got me through one road block, but I ultimately got stumped.
I'll try to post a longer log later about what exactly I went through.
In any event, the system is back to the state is was in yesterday, and everything seems to be working.