So unfortunately, I made the start-elog-nodus script smart enough to kill the debugging run I had (although thats probably good since there might have been issues with continuing to run - just poor timing on part of the crash).
In related news, I have gotten the latest version of the elog code to actually compile on Nodus. I had to hack the cryptic.c file (elog/src/cryptic.c) to get it to work though.
The following was copied from the #ifdef _MSC_VER section of the code into the #else directly following that section.
#define MAX(x,y) ((x)>(y)?(x):(y))
#define MIN(x,y) ((x)<(y)?(x):(y))
#define __alignof__(x) sizeof(x)
#define alloca(x) malloc(x)
#define mempcpy(d, s, n) ((char *)memcpy(d,s,n)+n)
#define ERANGE 34
I also removed #include <stdint.h> as the functionality it provides is covered by inttypes.h on Solaris machines, which is automatically included.
This new code was released August 5th 2010, while the old elog code we were running was 2.7.5 and was released sometime in 2008. There are several crash fixes mentioned in the version notes so I'm hoping this may improve stability. I'm in the process of making a copy of the elog logbooks into the elog-2.8.0 install (so as to have a backup with the original 2.7.5). I'm also copying over all the configuration files. In a few minutes I'm going to try switching over to the new elog. If it doesn't work, or is worse, its easy enough to just start up the current version.
All files are located in /cvs/cds/caltech/elog/elog-2.8.0 (the old directory is elog-2.7.5). I've made a new startup script called start-elog-nodus-2.8.0. To start the new one, just run that script. To start the old one, just go to the elog-2.7.5 directory and run the old start-elog-nodus script.