40m QIL Cryo_Lab CTN SUS_Lab TCS_Lab OMC_Lab CRIME_Lab FEA ENG_Labs OptContFac Mariner WBEEShop
  40m Log  Not logged in ELOG logo
Entry  Fri Aug 14 10:10:56 2020, Jon, Configuration, VAC, Vacuum repairs today 
    Reply  Sat Aug 15 02:02:13 2020, Jon, Configuration, VAC, Vacuum repairs today 
       Reply  Sat Aug 15 15:12:22 2020, Jon, Configuration, VAC, Overhaul of small turbo pump interlocks small_tp_signal_routing.pngsmall_tp_interlock_signal.pngsmall_tp_signal_routing.pngmedm_screen.png
Message ID: 15528     Entry time: Sat Aug 15 15:12:22 2020     In reply to: 15527
Author: Jon 
Type: Configuration 
Category: VAC 
Subject: Overhaul of small turbo pump interlocks 

Summary

Yesterday I completed the switchover of small turbo pump interlocks as proposed in ELOG 15499. This overhaul altogether eliminates the dependency on RS232 readbacks, which had become unreliable (glitchy) in both controllers. In their place, the V4(5) valve-close interlocks are now predicated on an analog controller output whose voltage goes high when the rotation speed is >= 80% of the nominal setpoint. The critical speed is 52.8 krpm for TP2 and 40 krpm for TP3. There already exist hardware interlocks of V4(5) using the same signals, which I have also tested.

Interlock signal

Unlike the TP1 controller, which exposes simple relays whose open/closed states are sensed by Acromags, what the TP2(3) controllers output is an energized 24V signal for controlling such a relay (output circuit pictured below). I hadn't appreciated this difference and it cost me time yesterday. The ultimate solution was to route the signals through a set of new 24V Phoenix Contact relays installed inside the Acromag chassis. However, this required removing the chassis from the rack and bringing it to the electronics bench (rather than doing the work in situ, as I had planned). The relays are mounted to the second DIN rail opposite the Acromags. Each TP2(3) signal controls the state of a relay, which in turn is sensed using an Acromag XT1111.

Signal routing

The TP2(3) "normal-speed" signals are already in use by hardware interlocks of V4(5). Each signal is routed into the main AC relay box, where it controls an "interrupter" relay through which the Acromag control signal for the main V4(5) relay is passed. These signals are now shared with the digital controls system using a passive DB15 Y-splitter. The signal routing is shown below.

Interlock conditions

The new turbo-pump-related interlock conditions and their channel predicates are listed below. The full up-to-date channel list and wiring assignments for c1vac are maintained here.

Channel Type New? Interlock-triggering condition
C1:Vac-TP1_norm BI No Rotation speed < 90% nominal setpoint (29 krpm)
C1:Vac-TP1_fail BI No Critical fault occurrence
C1:Vac-TP1_current AI No Current draw > 4 A
C1:Vac-TP2_norm BI Yes Rotation speed < 80% nominal setpoint (52.8 krpm)
C1:Vac-TP3_norm BI Yes Rotation speed < 80% nominal setpoint (40 krpm)

There are two new channels, both of which provide a binary indication of whether the pump speed is outside its nominal range. I did not have enough 24V relays to also add the C1:Vac-TP2(3)_fail channels listed in ELOG 15499. However, these signals are redundant with the existing interlocks, and the existing serial "Status" readback will already print failure messages to the MEDM screens. All of the TP2(3) serial readback channels remain, which monitor voltage, current, operational status, and temperature. The pump on/off and low-speed mode on/off controls remain implemented with serial signals as well.

The new analog readbacks have been added to the MEDM controls screens, circled below:

Other incidental repairs

  • I replaced the (dead) LED monitor at the vac controls console. In the process of finding a replacement, I came across another dead spare monitor as well. Both have been labeled "DEAD" and moved to Jordan's desk for disposal.
  • I found the current TP3 Varian V70D controller to be just as glitchy in the analog outputs as well. That likely indicates there is a problem with the microprocessor itself, not just the serial communications card as I thought might be the case. I replaced the controller with the spare unit which was mounted right next to it in the rack [ELOG 13143]. The new unit has not glitched since the time I installed it around 10 pm last night.
Attachment 1: small_tp_signal_routing.png  37 kB  Uploaded Sat Aug 15 16:22:05 2020  | Hide | Hide all
small_tp_signal_routing.png
Attachment 3: small_tp_signal_routing.png  37 kB  Uploaded Sat Aug 15 16:23:55 2020  | Hide | Hide all
small_tp_signal_routing.png
Attachment 4: medm_screen.png  83 kB  Uploaded Sat Aug 15 18:17:45 2020  | Hide | Hide all
medm_screen.png
ELOG V3.1.3-