I very tentatively declare that this particular daqd crapfest is "resolved" after Jenne rebooted fb and daqd has been running for about 40 minutes now without crapping itself. Wee hoo.
I spent a while yesterday trying to figure out what could have been going on. I couldn't find anything. I found an elog that said a previous daqd crapfest was finally only resolved by rebooting fb after a similar situation, i.e. there had been an issue that was resolved, daqd was still crapping itself, we couldn't figure out why so we just rebooted, daqd started working again.
So, in summary, totally unclear what the issue was, or why a reboot solved it, but there you go.