The idea was to measure the profile of the light coming out of the fiber, so we could have knowledge of it for further design of measurement apparatuses, for characterization of the fibers' properties.
The method was the same as the last time I tried to measure the fiber mode.
This time I moved the beam profiler in a wider range along the z-axis.
Additionally, I adjusted the coupling until it gave ~1mW through the fiber, so the signal was high enough to be reliably detectable.
Measurements were taken in both X and Y transections of the beam.
The range of movement was limited by the aperture of the beam profiler, which cuts off at 9mm. My measurements stop at 8.3mm, as the next possible measurement was beyond the beam profiler's range.
I entered my data into A La Mode, which gave me a waist of 5um, at a location of z = -0.0071 m, that is to say, 7.1mm inside the fiber.
Note that in the plot, data points and fits overlap, and so are sometimes hard to distinguish from each other.
Code is attached.
Using this data, I will begin designing setups to measure fiber characteristics, the first of which being Polarization Extinction Ratio.
Eventually, the data collected from these measurements will be put to use in the frequency offset locking setup.
The previous data were flawed, in that they were taken in groups of three, as I had to move the micrometer stage which held the beamscan between holes in the optical table.
In order to correct for this, I clamped a straightedge (ruler) to the table, so I could more consistently align the profiler with the beam axis.
These data gave a waist w_o = 4um, located 6mm inside the fiber. While these figures are very close to what I would expect (3.3um at the end of the fiber) the fitting still isn't as good as I would like.
The fit given by ALM is below.
I would like to get a stage//rail so I can align the axes of the beam and profiler more consistently.
I would also like to use an aperture the more precisely align the profiler aperture with the beam axis.
Once these measurements have been made, I can begin assembling the setup to measure the Polarization Extinction Ratio of the fiber.